Smart stick/plug for a Panasonic TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a bit of help if possible please. I have a 2012 Panasonic television, model No. EX-L42E5B. I would like to connect it to my router because of the current Covid19 crisis. We are out in the sticks and don't get a daily newspaper. I can read the paper on the desktop but would like to read it on the TV. I am quite conversant with attaching devices to my router and I have watched videos and investigated my TV remote control and it seems quite easy to connect the TV to my wi-fi if I have a smart stick/plug.

I have been advised by Panasonic that a plug is better than the wireless LAN adapter and anyway the latter has been discontinued.

My question is : Is there a dedicated stick/plug for my model of TV ? or can I buy any type and if so what would be the recommended one to buy ?

Thanks in advance and/or advice for any help given.

Sponsored Links
Is there a dedicated stick/plug for my model of TV ?

According to you after you spoke to Panasonic, they told you that the dedicated stick has been discontinued; so haven't you answered your own question?

"Are there other ways to connect this TV to the internet?"

Yes. Starting with the simplest and lowest cost first...

1) an Ethernet cable. Obviously this works best if the router and TV are in close proximity, but it's simple plug-n-play as there's usually no set-up involved. You'll also get the fastest wired speed that the sockets on the router and TV allow, which is 100mb. This is probably way faster than your Internet connection from the service provider unless you're wired up for ultra-high-end fibre or a corporate line subscriber.

2) a Wi-Fi Ethernet Bridge (A.K.A. wireless range extender) This is a mains powered device that picks up the wireless signal from your router and then provides an Ethernet port from which you can then use a cable to connect to the TV's Ethernet socket.

This does a very similar job to Panasonic's now-discontinued wireless USB dongle, but with three distinct differences. It's mains-powered rather than taking power from a USB socket; the connection to the TV is via Ethernet cable rather than USB; depending on the model and spec of the Bridge you choose, it could well be a lot faster than Panasonic was ever able to achieve.

The speed of these devices is dictated in part by the Wi-Fi standards they support, and whether they live up to the manufacturer claims for speed at whatever distance you're using it from the router. The other big factor is the quality of your home Wi-Fi router. The ones that come as part of the ISP package from your broadband supplier tend to be quite basic or - in the case of BT's HomeHub - locked in to working certain ways that might not always be the most useful for you.

For very basic Wi-Fi routers, your in-home Wi-Fi service will be on 2.4GHz- and 5Ghz- b/g/n standards. You can save a little money if you buy a Wi-Fi bridge limited to the same standards. e.g. Netgear EX2700

Where the wireless router is either a better spec, or you've bought your own, then you could be running on a faster wireless standard known as 'ac'. This uses mainly the 5GHz channel which means it is less prone to wireless interference. The ac standard also has the advantage of supporting faster speeds.

Some of the wireless bridges only support the ac and n standard at 5GHz. Others offer a more rounded package that includes both 2.4 and 5GHz support as well as legacy support for wireless g standard. They're similar money to the ac+n only devices, but a better option for someone with an older wireless router now but wants a best-of-both-worlds solution should their router be upgraded in the future. The Netgear EX6120 is a good example of this.

3) Powerline adapters. Here we have the ring mains of your domestic house mains wiring acting as a data cable. A plug-in device connected to a mains socket and wired up with some Ethernet cable to the router then converts that signal in so something that can be piped through three-core mains cable. A similar box somewhere near the TV picks up that mains signal and then converts it back to an Ethernet-type connection.

These come at various speeds, the performance improving with price, but there are two issues. The first is practical: both the router-end box and the TV-end box need to be connected to the same ring main loop. If the signal has to travel through the fuse board then there's a chance that it won't work, so anyone with a router in a part of the house that's on a different mains circuit to the TV could well be out of luck.

The second issue is to do with concerns about sending a high-frequency data signal over cables that weren't designed for that purpose. The worry is that the signal radiates from the mains cable in a way that doesn't happen with Ethernet cable, and those radiated signals then bleed over other parts of the radio spectrum causing interference for users of AM radio and wireless two-way radios. These were very valid concerns when the tech first launched as it was largely unregulated. Newer versions of the tech doesn't appear to be causing the same issues, or at least all the video evidence I've personally seen about interference is centred on early generation gear from 10-15 years ago.

Summary
I'd recommend that Netgear EX6120. It's a versatile unit that can be configured in several ways, so it has applications beyond just the specific use you require right now. That might become useful if you upgrade the TV to one that has wireless built in as seems to be the trend now. This is why it is called a wireless extender rather than being called simply a wireless bridge.

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, then please do the decent thing and click the T-H-A-N-K-S button (not the like button, the Thanks button. The difference is important). It appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons. It costs you nothing. This is the proper way to show your thanks for the time and help someone gave you.

I do not think I answered my own question at all. Panasonic informed me, in a very polite and helpful reply to my email to them, that the dedicated Wireless LAN Adapter, Part No. TY-WL20E, had been discontinued and that I was unlikely to find one anywhere. This was not a stick as such insofar as it did not plug into the TV directly, it had it's own "cradle" which it sat in which in turn was attached to the TV via a cable.

The following is an extract from the 1st email I received from Panasonic :

Hence I would rather suggest purchasing a smart-stick. The reasons why I am making this recommendation are listed below:

• you no longer need to purchase the adaptor as the smart-stick can be connected to Wi-Fi without it, it has its own interface for it
  • availability of apps; the smart-stick comes with a broad back of pre-installed apps that are working in comparison withthe apps on your unit
  • market variety of smart-sticks that can fulfill you requirements compared with the high chance of not finding the adaptor
I then asked if there was a specific smart stick that I should obtain and I received the following email :

In regards to yoru question related to the type of smart-stick, there is no particular type which we recommend. The smart-stick has a standard HDMI connection with no other higher requirements.

Hence my original question that I asked when starting this thread :

My question is : Is there a dedicated stick/plug for my model of TV ? or can I buy any type and if so what would be the recommended one to buy ?

My router is a Netgear 6300.

Ah, well, when you said you want to connect your TV to the internet and TV to your Wi-Fi in the OP, and you mentioned that Panasonic's wireless LAN adapter had been discontinued, and further that the advice from Panasonic that a plug is better than their-now-discontinued wireless adapter, then all the solutions I've suggested fit those criteria. Whether you realise it or not, you've perfectly described the functionality of devices that provide a network connection (and hence an internet connection) to the TV. It's just a language thing.

Now you've explained more clearly, what you're really looking for is a streaming stick or media streamer. Two names for what is essentially the same thing.

You'll be looking at things such as the Roku box; Amazon Firestick; Apple TV; nVidia Shield and similar. These provide an alternative to the TV's own smart-TV features, and in a lot of cases the featurers and range of services supported exceeds what even the newest TVs have built in.

Personally, I use an Amazon Firestick. They make two versions; there's a HD1080p-only version and a HD1080p-4K UHD version. The difference is that the version which does 4K UHD is a little more money, but it can access content with higher picture quality. It has a built-in web browser feature.

None of the other devices come as standard with a web browser, however, they do support the wireless connection of either an Anroid-based phone (Roku and nVidia Shield) using something called casting, or an Apple smartphone or tablet for the Apple TV using Apple's device-sharing app called AirPlay.

Sponsored Links
3) Powerline adapters. Here we have the ring mains of your domestic house mains wiring acting as a data cable. A plug-in device connected to a mains socket and wired up with some Ethernet cable to the router then converts that signal in so something that can be piped through three-core mains cable. A similar box somewhere near the TV picks up that mains signal and then converts it back to an Ethernet-type connection.

These come at various speeds, the performance improving with price, but there are two issues. The first is practical: both the router-end box and the TV-end box need to be connected to the same ring main loop. If the signal has to travel through the fuse board then there's a chance that it won't work, so anyone with a router in a part of the house that's on a different mains circuit to the TV could well be out of luck.

The second issue is to do with concerns about sending a high-frequency data signal over cables that weren't designed for that purpose. The worry is that the signal radiates from the mains cable in a way that doesn't happen with Ethernet cable, and those radiated signals then bleed over other parts of the radio spectrum causing interference for users of AM radio and wireless two-way radios. These were very valid concerns when the tech first launched as it was largely unregulated. Newer versions of the tech doesn't appear to be causing the same issues, or at least all the video evidence I've personally seen about interference is centred on early generation gear from 10-15 years ago.

NEVER, EVER use power line adapters. Lucid has explained the interference issue, but the latest ones are far worse not better. The latest high speed ones inject frequencies up to 300MHz, that is ten times the 30MHz the early ones used. The early ones mainly affected short wave radio but these latest ones can affect DAB and FM radio as this BBC White Paper shows:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/whitepaper195

Worse still air traffic control uses frequencies in between DAB and FM and so they can potentially interfere with this as well. Don't think a small radiation source at ground level cannot interfere with aeroplanes thousands of feet in the air either. Just read this rather worrying report:-

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/interference-issue

NEVER, EVER use power line adapters. Lucid has explained the interference issue, but the latest ones are far worse not better. The latest high speed ones inject frequencies up to 300MHz, that is ten times the 30MHz the early ones used. The early ones mainly affected short wave radio but these latest ones can affect DAB and FM radio.

Being digital signals (square waves) the interference isn't confined to the actual frequencies/signals they operate on and the thing about powerline adapters is they are connected to a massive aerial which radiates this horrible crud a long way.

As a person who deals with a selection of different radio, audio and video equipment I am finding the significant proliferation of PLA's is causing an unpresendented increasing source of interference, even more so than mobile phones ever have.

Lobbies have been made to get the use of them banned but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

I'm totally with you Winston on this topic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back