Accidentally removed paper lining of plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was stripping wallpaper today and accidentally removed the top layer of the plasterboard. This has left an uneven grey papery surface. How do I repair this and prepare it for painting?

Sponsored Links
I've plastered over many a plasterboard wall that has been damaged in this way,, as long as the structure of the board itself is sound, it's easily sorted out. Make sure all the loose bits of paper are removed, give the wall a coat of pva, then give it 2 tight coats of bonding plaster while the pva is still wet/tacky. Let it set up, then put on a couple of coats of multi finish. You'll probably need a plasterer to do the job too.

Sponsored Links
It was an accident waiting to happen but wasn’t really your fault. Whoever papered the “tape & fill” boarding didn’t seal it & that’s why the paper stripping has pulled the board lining paper off. There is no way you would know it would happen but if you were responsible for it in the 1st place, then you only have yourself to blame; a classic example of why tape & fill is total crap! :rolleyes:

What RC is saying is there is no way of repairing, the only option now is to have it plaster skimmed. It will save the day but will never be as strong as it should be & don’t ever try & hang tiles on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back