Accidentally removed PB paper, what to do now???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our porch was needing an overhaul as the old paper was hanging off the wall. I started to take it off like an idiot not realising have managed to take off what I assume to be the plasterboard paper too! I was planning on painting but want a decent smooth surface.

Have I wrecked the strength of the boards or should they be OK to work with?

How should I smooth/repair the damage?

Should I remove the rest of the paper or leave it?

I would rather do everything myself as I need to learn!

See attached pics.

Sponsored Links
From the pictures you've posted the strength of the boards will not be affected. Don't remove any more of the plasterboard facing though.

If you want to paint the wall then your only real option now is to skim (plaster) the walls. You will never be able to hide the patches with filler as you will get cracks everywhere. Alternatively you could fill and sand the patches and then line the walls ready for painting. If you hang the paper vertically and butt the seams then you should get a good finish. Any minor seam gaps can be hidden by rubbing a fine flexible filler into the gaps with your finger. The walls need to be completely flat to line for painting though as any cuts to level it out will usually end up visible.

Cheers for the reply dave!

I'm guessing I'll have no chance at skimming the wall myself so would need a professional to do it?

The room is approx 6x5 feet. Any idea of cost in W.Yorks?

The walls are fairly bowed and not flat. Would this mean the papering method would be unsuitable to achieve a smooth finish?

Also, the edges of the ceiling are flaking now too. How should I go about preping this? Sand the flaked edges, fill and paint or would I need to do something else?

Skimming is one of those skills that you'll either have or you won't. Unfortunately the only way to find out is to try it. ;)

Given that the room is a porch I suspect it will have at least two doors and probably some windows too, which makes the skimming a bit harder to DIY and get a good finish on the external corners. Locally to me I would expect to pay about £200 to have 6x5' with four reveals and ceiling skimmed by a good spread, down to about £100 for a general builder but that might need a bit of filling and sanding to be good enough for painting. You could probably do it yourself for about £50 in tools, a suitable sealer and a couple of bags of plaster.

You can do a good job with lining paper on almost any wall - it is just more difficult if a wall has bulges or if corners are not plumb because you need to stretch and/or cut the paper very precisely to avoid it being visible when completed.

Personally I like artex and coving on my ceilings/walls because it hides uneveness (which is usually very obvious on a plain white ceiling) and allows for movement at the joins between the two without it cracking. Not everyone likes coving though, so if it is not something you want then you can use a flexible caulk along the joins. When dry touch it up with an oil-based undercoat and then paint as normal to prevent an emulsion top-coat from crazing.

Sponsored Links
again, thanks Dave for the info. Think ill give papering a shot then once ive filled the holes and sanded.

What would you advise with the rest of the paper peeling off on the walls? Leave it on sand edges and cover with new paper?

Also do i need to prep the plaster with anything before I paste?

Lastly the ceiling, any ideas for the chipped edges? Dont want to paint it for it to come off because ive not properly preped the peeled edges.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back