Accountants fee for Tax Return

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I supplied an accountant (recommended to me) with my accounts for last FY (on spreadsheets), electronic Sales Invoices, copies of all purchase invoices (also detailed in spreadsheets above) details of all additional income (dividends, interest etc) and copies of the years bank statements and any other figures he requested, all via email with no phone calls or meetings. No complications. no major queries, surely he's just got to complete and process the form (I had a feeling I should have done it myself)

He's done the return and charged me a fee based on 14 hours work - you can do the maths I'm sure !! Ouch. I think its too much. He doesn't.

I have asked for details of where the 14 hours were spent and got little if nothing in return. I have stated I'm not paying unless he can justify the sum...Where do I stand legally ?

Ps. My initial meeting with him for a small amount of work the previous tax year (which I was happy with both cost and quality) he verbally estimated a quarter of what he's invoiced me for this FY. He denies this.

I'm a sole trader, non vat registered, simple business etc. My main issue is that for all I know he could have invoiced me for 100 hours work and I'd be none the wiser (or happier!)

Sponsored Links
I do my own VAT returns and my own book keeping using Sage. I give my accountant all my supplier invoices and a cd copy of my sage accounts.

I am charged approx £650/year which I think is ok ;)

My accountant charges me £300 to complete my self assessment tax return. I just give him my income/expenditure figures (no fancy spreadsheets ;) ) and he does the rest. I can't complain!

it sadly sounds like you've been stung. If everything was in a format whereby he could find your Income and expenditure easily then there should have been no need for much work at all. I run a ltd company on sage and we pay £600 a year and supply all the figures the accountant just does our accounts from there. They also do our personal tax returns included. However we were stung before when we'd just started by an accountant who had her book keeper enter everything onto sage and charged not far off 2K for it. At the time we were only turning over 80K so as you might imagine we went elsewhere the following year much to her surprise :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I was charged £400 for a Tax return, and another £200 to sort out VAT. however I had all the income and expenditure typed up int ao spreadsheet, which made it a little easier for him

Crikey you use Sage - I'm very impressed - I consider myself to be fairly bright but I could not fathom out Sage :oops:

how much did he actually charge. my wifes an accounat so ill ask her view on it. he should be able to justify his charge and break it down though

Thermo said:
how much did he actually charge. my wifes an accounat so ill ask her view on it. he should be able to justify his charge and break it down though

Thats very kind of you. £750 + VAT

As I said, I basically provided all the data on spreadsheets, and he compiled the return with that data. No meetings, all done via email.

Like all professions, prices will vary between practises and areas. My £650 included VAT and also no visits, but I call him anytime and as often as I like during the year for telephone advice.

equitum said:
Thermo said:

Thats very kind of you. £750 + VAT

As I said, I basically provided all the data on spreadsheets, and he compiled the return with that data. No meetings, all done via email.

spoke to my wife. she said they should provide a breakdown (although they can obviously tailor it to fit. The practice she used to work for currewntly charge between £150 -£500 +vat, dependent on the state of the accounts they are given, obviously £500 is the worst case! Only thing she did say is your view of all the contenets of your spreadsheets may be wonderful, however sometimes thay can make things harder for the accountant! She said it still sounds too high though.

hope it helps

I'm autistic... well at least that's what the missus says! :D
I do my sums avery month and break down everything into spreadsheets
materials
tools
work clothing and safety-wear
fuel, misc vehicular(tax, MOT, spares, servicing etc)
moby and landline
income gross and nett after all deductions

It takes me a coupla hours or so.

My accountant charges me £100.00 to fill in the self assesment return.
Yup, I know it sounds like I do allo the work but it must save me £££.
Also the acc't knows exactly how to apportion further savings on whether to deduct depreciation on vehicle or mileage deductions, % of expenditure on domestic lighting and heating as I have a room dedicated as an office, even an allowance for laundry detergent!!! fer washing filthy clothes!!!

Most of all I am safe in the knowledge that I will not be incurring the wrath of the customs and excise..

Just to let the respondants know (and thanks for posts) I decided to send a cheque (which they cashed) for 2/3rds of the bill as thats what I decided was reasonbale. No further bills/correspondance from said accountant, but maybe thats because I sent the letter to all partners at the firm with a breakdown of what I'd been invioced versus my version of what I thought justified.

Sponsored Links
Back