tax return

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
oeeeeeeg jr has just completed his online tax return and as his self employment only covered 23 days of the tax year (he was under PAYE for the rest of the year) It was fairly straightforward.
However, looking forward to next years tax return, can anyone supply a list of tax deductible items which he will be able to claim. I.E. mileage, phone, work clothes etc.
even googling the subject doesn`t bring up many definitive answers, so thought I`d ask the people that do the job day in day out.
Almost forgot to add he`s a sparky, cheers.

Sponsored Links
My accountant seems to have all the answers.:cool:

Smug answer i know, but for the sake of a few hundred quid they may save you more in the long run.

I hate tax stuff and related issues, so the accountant gets all the letters and the grief dumped on them.

Money well spent i say.

If you (your son) are going to claim, don't get too greedy or it will bite you in the butt. Tax issues do not simply go away they only manifest themselves.

You have been warned..... :p

As Noseall said, a good accountant will pay for themselves in the money they save you, never dreamed of half the stuff I claim for until I changed my accountant a few years ago. Don't get one that is too straight, mine is ex-inlNd revenue and knows how far he can go.

My accountant seems to have all the answers.:cool:

Smug answer i know, but for the sake of a few hundred quid they may save you more in the long run.

I hate tax stuff and related issues, so the accountant gets all the letters and the grief dumped on them.

Money well spent i say.

If you (your son) are going to claim, don't get too greedy or it will bite you in the butt. Tax issues do not simply go away they only manifest themselves.

You have been warned..... :p

Hi, not a smug answer at all. What kind of accountant do you use? I.E. local to you who you can call on anytime or one of the online ones who you just email everything to and leave them to it.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Go for one that is local and only a phone call away.

When I got an accountant, I forgot to include my van insurance which was £550. If I had done it myself then I would of being out of pocket. Accountants are well worth their wage.

Andy

oooeeeyyyyoogggeee I think with all that above advice mate, it would be wise to get an accountant. :cool:

What kind of accountant do you use? I.E. local to you who you can call on anytime or one of the online ones who you just email everything to and leave them to it.
Cheers.

I use a local large firm.

When i first started i used a local one man band but he seemed interested in other things, so personal service was poor.

My accountant firm is not cheap, nor would i say they are miracle workers either. In fact i would say they are a bit too straight as it were.

You need to find a wise accountant.:cool:

If you have bad luck like me you could get a lazy accountant who charges the earth. I was self employed for 25 yrs and must have gone through 10 accountants. My last accountant, Dartford based, was charging me £600 a year and i was getting very little back.
From my experience i would recommend that you ring your local tax office and ask them to book you onto their self assessment training course. It's free. takes a day and they go through each part of the SA Forms with the class. You'd be surprised what you can claim back. Remember most accountants will only claim back what you tell them, which is pretty much what you can do yourself, once you've done the course.

Sponsored Links
Back