how complicated is it to have an apprentice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right folks just a query on how do i go about employing an apprentice.
I am a sub contract bricky and have been for the last 15 years and am on the cis tax scheme. I have had a lad i know ask me if i would offer him a chance of an apprenticeship with me trouble is i have only ever worked with other bricklayers/labourers also on the cis scheme or sc 60/715 as was.
Frankly the idea fills me with dread , do i then become an employer , how much liability insurance do i need , what do i do about wages as mine are tax deducted at source with cis and so on , my accountant is a friend that muddles through my tax return every year so she has no idea either .
In my day it was The building and allied trades that sorted my apprenticeship who is it now citb ? So many questions is it really worth it and so on.
Have often thought ,what a shame it is that people like myself do not make the effort bring people along in a trade but the more i think about it the more complex it becomes, is this really the case or am i just being selfish and lazy.

Could any one give me a few pointers or advise please
Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
we employ an apprentice but we are a limited company so not on the cis scheme. its not as bad as you think. Ring the hmrc and they will give you the correct advice. they really are very helpful. Mind you finding the right apprentice is another matter, but dont be put off by the red tape. I think more tradesman/companies should get off their arses and do something about the future of the industry. I use one lad on a casual basis whose desperate to be a plumber. One year at college top results, cant get an apprenticeship so cant carry on the course. What a great industry/training scheme we offer!

Whilst youre friend may be muddling through your accounts and saving you a few quid on the cost of an accountant, employing one will save you a hell of a lot more. theres probably a lot you arent claiming for that you dont know about

for those who don't know, Thermo's lucky enough to be married to an accountant.:cool:

tax and tax law scares the bejesus out of me too. :eek:
if it weren't for meddling Gordon Blue, i'd have an apprentice on my books too. ;)

i am indeed noseall, however i think woodyoulike will back me up on this one. Dont be afraid of the finaces, get a decent accountant/bookeeper and youll be amazed what you can legally screw out of the government. It will be more than you spend on the accountant

Sponsored Links
When I was self employed I had an accountant who'd do my self assement for me. Each year he'd get me over a grand back for only a hundred and twenty pounds (which he'd claim back for me the following year :D ) so a good accountant is worth their weight in gold.

If you're a limited company you have to have an accountant to prepare and file yearly company reports.

a decent bookeeper can prepare them. they just have to be signed off by an accountant. (can be a cheaper way of doing it if you find a decent book keeper)

Who needs an apprentice when the market is flooded with Eastern Europeans willing to work for peanuts?

very short sighted view, and for one that whinges so much about immigration

About 4 years ago I was in the same position, took on a 16yr old as self employed, packed him off to college one day a week, paid him £65/day for the other 4. Worked well, but a few months down the line he thought he knew it all, never went to college(too boring/hungover) never came into work (hungover). I said never again, now a mates son on a brickie course at college cannot get a placement, thinking should i take him on, or too much hassle?

we went through a couple till we found a decent one. Still have to give him the occasional slap back in line though! Worth his weight in gold for what he does for his age though.

I remember how hard it was to get taken on as an apprentice in the Electrical trade took me about two years after starting a full time course at college. I did some unpaid work experience for local contracting firms but eventually completed my time with a streetlighting contractor hence my username.

The Government should be doing more to help potential employers take on an apprentice.

catnick67 said:
About 4 years ago I was in the same position, took on a 16yr old as self employed, packed him off to college one day a week, paid him £65/day for the other 4. Worked well, but a few months down the line he thought he knew it all, never went to college(too boring/hungover) never came into work (hungover). I said never again, now a mates son on a brickie course at college cannot get a placement, thinking should i take him on, or too much hassle?

What do you expect if you employ a teenager? Highly likely they'll get bored easily, call in sick, be hungover etc. do you really think they are gonna put their chasing girls and getting drunk with their mates on hold so as to increase the profitability of YOUR business, they don't really give a toss. and for £65 a day you can't complain too much.

I'm not saying that an apprentice is a bad idea, just that a generation or 2 down the line might not have the same priorities as yourself and you have to allow for that (or not) A bit of psychology works here, shoulda paid him £60 a day, with a £20 'bonus' per week if he takes no days off.

Joe Von 90 Wrote :

Who needs an apprentice when the market is flooded with Eastern Europeans willing to work for peanuts?

Thermo said:
very short sighted view, and for one that whinges so much about immigration

He's got a point thought thermo..companies are not taking lads on as much because of the influx..why pay an apprentice 120 odd quid a week (citb's suggested rates)

When they can exploit one of those who may be skilled for the same money.?

Im dead against whats going on with immigration but equally I know plenty of owners of firms who moan about the foreigners and yet take loads on instead of paying home grown talent (be it black white or a mixture of both)

Thermo said:
I think more tradesman/companies should get off their a**es and do something about the future of the industry.
For one thing, why is the future of the industry the particular responsibility of companies/businesses/traders already in it?

For another thing, why do you think that people who don't have an apprentice are on their arses? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back