Becomming an Apprentice (a few questions)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm 18 years old, in the second year of sixth form and would like to become an electrician by way of doing a four year apprenticeship, I have succesfully applied to JTL and passed their industry approved apprentice appitude test, they will be circulating details of me to their database of employers, and have advised me to write to some myself out of the yellow pages, which I have done (received the first reply this morning, no vacancies for an apprentice, but wishing me luck in my search). Can anyone give me any advise on how to find an employer etc, what sort of companies I should look at, small contractors, or what, or (longshot) if anyone is in the trade in the lincoln area and would like to take on an apprentice...

Anyway, I am not the smallest person in the world, I am 6' 4" tall and should weigh apparently 14st 6lbs, however until recently I weighed 20st 1lb, I appriacte that such a weight would probably not do me any favours in an apprenticeship (in danger of snapping ladders etc), and in the last five weeks have started to reduce that, it now stands at 18st 9lb, and will hopefully be a lot lower by the time it comes to start the apprenticeship if I get one (september). I would like a realistic view of whether this is going to present any problems (I intend to loose a lot of weight regardless of whether I get an apprenticeship or not)

Thanks

Adam B

Sponsored Links
keep asking local companies, try searching the forums, it has been asked before

Adam_151 said:
I'm 18 years old, in the second year of sixth form and would like to become an electrician by way of doing a four year apprenticeship, I have succesfully applied to JTL and passed their industry approved apprentice appitude test, they will be circulating details of me to their database of employers, and have advised me to write to some myself out of the yellow pages, which I have done (received the first reply this morning, no vacancies for an apprentice, but wishing me luck in my search). Can anyone give me any advise on how to find an employer etc, what sort of companies I should look at, small contractors, or what, or (longshot) if anyone is in the trade in the lincoln area and would like to take on an apprentice...

Anyway, I am not the smallest person in the world, I am 6' 4" tall and should weigh apparently 14st 6lbs, however until recently I weighed 20st 1lb, I appriacte that such a weight would probably not do me any favours in an apprenticeship (in danger of snapping ladders etc), and in the last five weeks have started to reduce that, it now stands at 18st 9lb, and will hopefully be a lot lower by the time it comes to start the apprenticeship if I get one (september). I would like a realistic view of whether this is going to present any problems (I intend to loose a lot of weight regardless of whether I get an apprenticeship or not)

Thanks

Adam B

try your local council

Sponsored Links
i went on the JTL website but its all flash player based and none of it works properly. :mad:

crafty1289 said:
i went on the JTL website but its all flash player based and none of it works properly. :mad:
perhaps you havent got the right flash "plug in"

You won't need to stand on any ladder at your height......!! :D

Seriously though, as you are under 25 you should have quite a good chance because companies can get grants from the Govt for taking you on - just keep plugging away (no pun intended!). This is also the best time of year as companies want to get their apprentices lined up before the start of the new college year in Sept/Oct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back