Various routes to becoming an electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

Firstly apologies as I know there are loads of these types of queries about, but hoping for some general advice.

I have graduated from University and have a first class honours in Building Surveying and am presently working for a small surveying practice.  Before I came to University, I did some summer work with a local electrician who offered me the chance of an apprenticeship at the end of it.  For various reasons I ended up going to University instead and whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the course, I am not sure whether surveying is completely for me and am considering becoming an electrician again.  Obviously there are positives and negatives to both, but I feel that I have a good understanding of what the job ins and outs are, having worked with an electrician in the past and dealing with them on a daily basis with my present job.

Anyway, my question is what is the best route available to becoming qualified at this age (I am 23 now).  I understand times are hard throughout the construction industry and finding an apprenticeship in these conditions will be challenging.  In addition, I have looked into the JTL scheme but it appears I can’t enrol on this as I have a degree.  Is it possible to get an apprenticeship without going through JTL?  Perhaps a better option would be to go to a local college after work, but I am unsure of which course to take – I have seen a local one which does the C&G 2330 part time, but I presume I will need other qualifications e.g. 17th Edition regs etc.  I have also seen mixed reviews about the 2330, although obviously if it a requirement and needs to be completed, it can’t be avoided!

Lots of questions I know, but hopefully some of the practicing electricians on here will be able to help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your best route would be to find employment within the trade and then do your college training as your employer will provide.
If getting employment within the trade is not going to happen, then your best options are part time two evenings a week for 3 years or full time, one day a week for 2 years.
The C&G 2330 will be your starting point, contact your local colleges to see what course they are running.
Once have completed the 2330 you can then progress on to taking your 17th editon exams and 2391/2(inspection and testing)

But the 2330 course is going to be changed
http://www.electricalqualifications.co.uk/cityandguilds2357.php
so contact your local college and see what the can offer

You shouldn't need to spend time or money doing a 17th regs course - see if you can just sit the exam when the time comes.

Great, thanks for the replies which are really useful. To be honest, I wasn't aware that it would take as long as that doing it part time. Sounds like it may be better to gain employment if this is possible. I know apprenticeships are aimed at younger people, but would this still be an option? Or would it just be a case of agreeing something with an employer when it gets to that stage?

Sponsored Links
I don't think your to old to serve an apprenticeship
A browse through this may answer a few questions
http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/Be-An-Apprentice/Who-are-they-for.aspx
A part-time college course will get you to level 3 status in about two and a half years. The courses generally start in September and your final year will end around May.
But funding seems to be an issue, so best contact your college.
There are quick/fast track courses available, but to be honest, I can not believe people can do these courses, be successful in their exams and actually be any good. It is simply too much to take in, in such as short period of time.
I would be interested if there is anybody on this site, that has done this and how successful have they been.

Yes I have heard of the fast track courses, but I am not convinced either. By the sounds of it, employment is the best route - I will still consider college but I am aware that after finishing, although qualified, my on-site experience will be limited. Suppose at least being in the construction industry already means I have a few contacts already so better get thinking! Cheers for the help

Hello everyone

Firstly apologies as I know there are loads of these types of queries about, but hoping for some general advice.

I have graduated from University and have a first class honours in Building Surveying and am presently working for a small surveying practice.  Before I came to University, I did some summer work with a local electrician who offered me the chance of an apprenticeship at the end of it.  For various reasons I ended up going to University instead and whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the course, I am not sure whether surveying is completely for me and am considering becoming an electrician again.  Obviously there are positives and negatives to both, but I feel that I have a good understanding of what the job ins and outs are, having worked with an electrician in the past and dealing with them on a daily basis with my present job.

Anyway, my question is what is the best route available to becoming qualified at this age (I am 23 now).  I understand times are hard throughout the construction industry and finding an apprenticeship in these conditions will be challenging.  In addition, I have looked into the JTL scheme but it appears I can’t enrol on this as I have a degree.  Is it possible to get an apprenticeship without going through JTL?  Perhaps a better option would be to go to a local college after work, but I am unsure of which course to take – I have seen a local one which does the C&G 2330 part time, but I presume I will need other qualifications e.g. 17th Edition regs etc.  I have also seen mixed reviews about the 2330, although obviously if it a requirement and needs to be completed, it can’t be avoided!

Lots of questions I know, but hopefully some of the practicing electricians on here will be able to help.

Thanks
I am on the level 2 2330 now and i think this is the end of it now. starting this september the course is changing into specialized feilds. you can still get an apprenticeship but it wont be the level 2 and 3 2330 anymore go to ur local college and they will tell you more. what i done to get my apprenticeship( i was 21 too old for most companies lol) was have a friend of the family to say i was working with him let the course go through him and after a few months say he sacked me and the college found me a job. worth a try so many people on my course done it this way.

I have to been to university and gained an HND in Business and finance. I then decided a change of direction in my life. The best way would be a JTL apprenticeship which is what I did. You are not to old nor does it matter that you have been to UNI. You will find unless an employer is willing to pay you will be looking at around £1500 a year though. Through the JTL scheme you will be come fully qualified with city and guilds, an nvq level 3 and am2 test. Hope this helps. If you do go to college part time check about the 2330 as it is being finished.

WellShocked - would you be interested in knowing which of you two comes across better, and why?

I am on the level 2 2330 now and i think this is the end of it now. starting this september the course is changing into specialized feilds. you can still get an apprenticeship but it wont be the level 2 and 3 2330 anymore go to ur local college and they will tell you more. what i done to get my apprenticeship( i was 21 too old for most companies lol) was have a friend of the family to say i was working with him let the course go through him and after a few months say he sacked me and the college found me a job. worth a try so many people on my course done it this way.

I have to been to university and gained an HND in Business and finance. I then decided a change of direction in my life. The best way would be a JTL apprenticeship which is what I did. You are not to old nor does it matter that you have been to UNI. You will find unless an employer is willing to pay you will be looking at around £1500 a year though. Through the JTL scheme you will be come fully qualified with city and guilds, an nvq level 3 and am2 test. Hope this helps. If you do go to college part time check about the 2330 as it is being finished.

Thanks again for the replies, plenty to think about. I thought that The JTL scheme was available to people who had completed degrees too, but when I looked on their website, it said that the scheme was unavailable to people who had a degree. I could be mistaken though and will have another look and give them a call. Glad to know that there are still apprenticeships and opportunities out there anyway, even if they are hard to come by!

Hi I am looking to take a course in Pat Testing and gain some sort of electrical management and inspection qualification, I live in Glasgow so was looking do study somewhere in or around glasgow. Have any of you got any recommendations?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back