Becoming an electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am presently in college one day a week studying to be come an electrician, (city and guilds 2330 electrical installation) I flew through year one passed with distinction and i am now continuing with year two of a three year course.

Trouble is i have just turned 40 years of age (all be it a young 40!) but needed to re skill after serving in the forces for 22 years. Now everyone on my course is much younger than me and there is the usual talk of "soon as i finish i am going self employed" etc, i feel this would be foolish as i have little or no experiance other than doing stuff at home or for my friends.

My question is this, would any Electrician seriously want to take on someone my age given my lack of experiance ? Obviously I have a multitude of qualities that maybe youngsters don't bring with them, but am I wasting my time, I believe I would be an asset to any electrician or electrical installation company, but not sure you guys in the indusrty see it that way.

I am quite happy to spend my days house bashing and keep to domestic work, also I leave the forces next june is it worth me getting in touch with some local firms (being only part qualified) or will they laugh at me, I'm desperate for experiance, rather than high earnings ?

Sponsored Links
hi

have you thought of going in to the alarm game, much easier than house bashing and often guys out the forces are given the oppurtunity to train, initial fire & security now part of chubb have in the past taken on guys from the forces with little experience, often starting on servie and then either sticking at it or moving on to other things. worth an ask :eek:

http://careers.ies.uk.com/

i would have no qualms in giving you a start mate.you will obviously want to just get on and make a few quid which would be good for me then i can make a few quid out of you.
sometimes i get fed up of beating new qualified youngsters sensless with my regs book,especially when they wont be told.i expect your attitude would be slightly different given your age.dont give up mate you could well be a valuable asset to someone.
i would just add mate that i would give you a start as i said before but whether you stayed would come down to your attitude towards safety,customers and wiilingness to get on.ive got a bloke on for me at the moment hes 53 and spent most of his life repairing televisions and hes good,not that quick but very thorough and trustworthy.

if your desperate for experience than earnings then get a job as part qualified.no one is going to laugh off someone who just wants to get on.trust me mate you will be good news to someone

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all those words, believe me I do want to get on, and will work as hard as it takes, I'm quick thinking, fit and as for safe well 22 years as an Aircraft Safety Fitter should answer that one, 12 as a supervisor, got bags of common sense and peripheral skills my cv speaks for itself really, however all that is behind me now and realise I'm starting at the bottom but hey no problem with being told what to do, when to do it etc until I gain the trust and experiance I need, cant see me wanting to work for myself so happy to help someone else make the money as long as I make a decent living, thanks again for the advice and encouragement I'll get out there after xmas and see if your right, lets hope so. Cheers fellas.

Having just lost an apprentice.... if you lived in Sheffield / South Yorkshire i'd give you a go now mate!

The main stumbling block you have as a older guy trying to get into the industry is pay. For smaller outfits its very difficult to pay decent money to someone who isn't going to actually bring money into the company (in terms of being able to sign off work etc).

Personally i'd look to doing extra training aimed at the domestic market (eg EAL Domestic Installer etc) as this will give you extra information aimed at the domestic market....its all well and good learning how to do radius bends in cable tray at college etc but you will never use it domestically....

Big vic, Thanks mate wish i did live up that way, believe me at by out side your door tomorrow morning, I hear what your saying and have looked at that i was hoping to be able to do the Domestic Installer together with 2391 before I left the forces however due to various circumstances i was unable to secure a course. However one of the benefits of being ex forces is that I leave with a training grant in my back pocket of up two grand, therefore I can get myself on any courses, any future employer wishes me too, therefore becoming a benefit to them (and me) at no cost to them. The only problem is fitting it in (time wise), Year 3 (2330) seems to be mainly science and inspection and testing (but we still got to do 2391 seperatly) The tutors tell you all you need is 2330 (buildings and structures) which is too 16th edition soon to 17th, they slam part p as being a monoploy and waste of time, but way I see it, its got to be done. Your advice is sound mate and like I said I will do whatever it takes, providing someone gives me that break and takes me seriously. I must say though that I figured I would be aiming at working for a part p holder, would I still not be a benefit as an installer until I could sign my work off, ? I suppose it depends what you call bad pay as well ? Not a clue what to expect pay wise to begin with. Thanks for your words and advice mate really appriciate it.

Personally i think if you are aiming at the domestic market then a part p qualification is a must. 2391 gets really bad press as being very hard but personally i think its a wicked course that gives you a brief overview of testing.

We put one of our lads through a 6 week part p course recently (because i needed to have him part p qualified) and a lot of it was frankly b*llocks (how anyone can think someone with zero experience can go from zero to re-wiring a house in 6 weeks is beyond me) however the second you have a part p qualification you instantly become an asset to a business.

The biggest thing though is wanting to do it, Enthusiasm is the single greatest thing that makes me want to employ someone. You seem fired up to get some experience so personally i think you'll do ok pal.

Its a pity you don't live in the same bit of the country!!!

Big Vic, Yeah big shame that, oh well my loss. I'm not worried about inspection and testing being difficult, personally I feel its vital, and while I wouldnt want to spend all day, every day inspecting and testing I'm very accustomed to testing mine and other people's work on aircraft safety equipment, and its surprising the mistakes that are made by very competant tradesman in my game, hence I appriciate its worth. As for part p, we cover and have covered more domestic wiring configurations in college than anything else, the conduit, cable tray stuff is relatively low key, that could be down to the instrutors background I guess, but I feel confident that I would enjoy it very much and thats definatly the side I enjoy most, even though most seem to try and steer me away from domestic, I've constantly got my head stuck in my Electricians IEE Guide to building regs, so hey if i have to do 6 weeks more training after the three years then bring it on. Listen mate thanks again for your encoureging words. If i make it I'll let you know, but its nice to know that there are people in the trade that would give me a go. Hope there's more around like yourself. Thanks again. Ps if you know any sparks in hampshire pass on my email . Many thanks.

At the last firm I worked at, we took on an apprentice aged 38.

I would reccomend it to everyone.

Far better than a school leaver with attitude and no work ethic.

Don't worry about your age mate. I'm 38 and just starting my third year in 2330. Over the summer i sent out ten letters asking for work. I mentioned that i enjoyed doing some Inspection and Testing and straight off got a job. I'm doing kitchen refits in council properties at the moment. My employers have got tired of training up young lads only to be let down time and time again. You've got so many life skills i'm sure you'll get snapped up pretty quick.

Best of luck

Buzzbob

im at collage doing level 3 - 2330 and theres people in there 50's even a few women on my course also when i took my joinery course they where older learners and even a 19 year old ugly fat chick on a brick laying course. im trying to get my self multi skilled what do you lot think are the perfect skills to an employer?

Thanks guys, Im sticking at it and seeing where it takes me. Got nothing to lose. Many thanks again.

Hey Leeeco, don't think that Uglyism is aloud on here, or is that remark a compliment where you live
;)

Tim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back