Becoming an electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It was my original career choice to become an electrician, but I got stuck in retail. My girlfriend did a similar thing, but we met at work so cant complain.

Anyway, I turn 27 next week and need a change. I'm not getting any younger, and work isnt getting any better. Currently working 27 miles from home, which is too far, and the commute is awful and I get wound up by idiots on the road.

So anyway, I cant reduce my income by much as I have a mortgage and bills to pay etc, so a night course might be my only option.

I am already quite proficient in much of the theory behind electrical installation etc, and have had practise in my own house, and my parents' shed. :LOL: I also know a bit of 3 phase theory, the 120 degree thing, 400 volts etc.

What course should I be looking at doing? Doncaster college offers the following 3 on a part time basis:

Electrical Installation
City & Guilds 17th Edition Wiring Regulations BS7671 Level 3
City & Guilds 2330 Electrotechnical Certificate Level 2/3
City & Guilds 2377 Portable Appliance Testing Level 2

The 2330 sounds like the most appropriate one. But at nearly £3000 for 1 night a week, 36 weeks for 3 years its a huge outlay and will take a lot of time! Are there any other routes for me? At 27 with commitments a few of the conventional routes are much harder to get into now!

Sponsored Links
I went down the 2330 route but this will just take you through the theory. After the 2330 you will need to complete an NVQ 3 which will involve having to work on site and gain enough experience in a lot of differing aspects of electrical installations. I was informed by my college that I had to be working a min of 16 hours per week to enroll on the NVQ 3. As part of the NVQ 3 you will also have to complete the AM2 electrical competency exam. These are all at an extra cost and are not cheap.

The thing is that there is simply no easy route to become a competent and qualified electrician. It is a trade that will have you head scratching and learning all the time. I don't understand how people can just enroll on a 2 week course with no experience to start with and with no basic knowledge then think that they are ready to go it themselves.

So I think the best option is to get a placement with an electrical company and gain the experience that you will require to gain the competency level that is required!

Best of luck Steve, dont think being a spark will reduce your commute stress though, I regularly travel 60+ miles to jobs

Sponsored Links
Not really I have a regular run 2/3 times a week over hill and down dale usually stuck behind a quarry truck doing 30mph, scenery is nice though

You'd be very lucky to get a sparky job in a fixed location! The only type I can think of which work in the same location all the time is a maintenance one.

What course should I be looking at doing? Doncaster college offers the following 3 on a part time basis:

Electrical Installation
you will require at least a level 3 accreditation to complete this, so progession will be needed.
that is the one you need, think the level 3, is now NVQ though and no longer 2330.
wouldn't bother with that!

The 2330 sounds like the most appropriate one. But at nearly £3000 for 1 night a week, 36 weeks for 3 years its a huge outlay and will take a lot of time! Are there any other routes for me? At 27 with commitments a few of the conventional routes are much harder to get into now!
It is the most appropriate one, regardless of time and money, that is something you will need to factor in. Don't think for one minute, that the 5 week crash courses are going to help you become an electrician.

You'd be very lucky to get a sparky job in a fixed location! The only type I can think of which work in the same location all the time is a maintenance one.

There are production jobs too, but tend to be a bit boring

A 2 hour multiple guess exam where you can have the book of answers open in front of you. Yes, really.
Some people spend even more money and go on a course for 3 days beforehand, just to make sure they can actually read the book.

What's left of the 'proper' courses, where you attend college for 1 or 2 days a week, and the rest of the time are employed for a pittance working for some electrical firm to gain the necessary experience of practical work in the real world.
Doing this course without the practical work won't achieve much, and even if you do this the 'proper' way, you might be considered for employment with some firm who wlll offer minimum wage to do all the grotty jobs no one else wants. Wall chasing, carpet removal, floorboard lifting, equipment shifting, floor sweeping and the like.

A feeble, content lacking event in which you spend the morning browsing through a book while drinking coffee, and the afternoon completing a multiple guess exam where you can have the book of answers open in front of you.
Some more expensive courses might even include the opportunity to watch someone plug a hairdryer into a test machine and press some buttons.
After this, you can proclaim you are a fully qualified 'Pat Tester' and obtain work testing portable equipment all day for 75p an item.

waste of time doing the PAT course we normally charge £1 per item tested but where offered a hotel job with 600+ items so agreed on 75p per item, lost the job to a firm doing it for 14p per item that dont even cover the cost of the green labels !
To be perfectly honest there aint much money in this trade anymore too many five day wonderboys and chancers undercutting and getting all the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back