Advice from tradesmen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have a small problem which has been troubling me.
I have been self employed for two years and my Buisness is going from strength to strength.
I sometimes get work from other tradesmen in different fields.
One bloke was calling me to do work for him and it was going well.
I soon realised he was a bit volatile and was always recounting stories of how he 'had someone round the neck' Ect.
He called me to come and look at work for a customer of his but the job was unrelated to what he was doing. I couldn't get to it straight away and got to his customer within a few days. When I got there he blanked me and went off home without a word whilst I surveyed what I needed to do.
After a few hours I got an abusive text saying I was a nobody and I was out of order treating him like a mug. I apologised explaining I was in a rush and thought no more about it.
Fast forward a few months and I finally got round to doing work for another customer of his from before Christmas.
Finished job and on way home I got an abusive call from said volatile tradesman telling me to stay away from his customers or he will come and find me.
Then he sent me a text saying I owe him money for all the work he 'found' me and stay away from his customers or pay him what he's due.
Anyone have any advice?

Sponsored Links
He's obviously being very unprofessional & maybe should let him know that. There may be issues to resolve but at the end of the day he can't physically touch you & if he's being volatile write letters or emails (don't text) to resolve the situation as you then have a record & don't have to confront him face to face. If he comes to you looking for you, the law doesn't look kindly on this, where as if you agree to get into a confrontation situation i.e. meeting up, he has more chance of getting away with anything. If he want his money tell him to take you to court. See what happens.

If you feel you've been threatened, you should go to the police.

Sounds like your working relationship with him is over. You're obviously not going to get any more work from him, so best to ignore.

Maybe he's just a fruitcake. Possibly, on the other side of the coin, he reckons he's passed a fair bit of work your way. Were you grateful and thanked him? Did you make sure that there was a 'drink' in it for him, if the job was a payer? These things oil the wheels, and a small token of appreciation goes a long way.

My money's on him being unstable, but often there's two sides to these disagreements.

You could stop being a girl, and invite him to a Perry Bar car park and give him a good, Black Country leathering! :evil:

Sponsored Links
He's obviously told the customer he'd get you round and when you didnt show when he said you would he felt like a plank.

He's throwing his weight around now because he thinks you're bullyable. Stand up to him, is my advice.

Thanks. He's ex army. Was never in the wrong totally inflexible not just with me.
I always grease the wheels if its a good earner. The last few times the jobs were worth about £120 to me all said and done.
I just don't know how to take the intimidation he obviously knows I'm a bit green and I hope he's just messing with my head. I've stayed mute because I know he can't be reasoned with and to be honest whatever noise I make will just enflame the situation.
I've not thought about it so much last few days so I imagine with no more confrontation I will get over it.
I have a young family and a lot to loose. He is knocking on a bit and I kind of think he's got nothing else to think about.
Fisticuffs is out of the question I don't fancy my chances.
I was thinking about the police just to log the activity just incase I ever bump into him in some shed and he starts mouthing off. In which case I wouldn't know how to react ignoring him would rile him, I think I may just start doing the hockey kokey and go out with a smile !!
I think on the whole I just need to get on with it and chalk it down to experience.

Classic Nutter, Never associate with nutters, You will need to up your game,when sussing people out, when running your own business,its one of your tools in your people skill's tool box,one of the most important for self preservation,We all fook up ,Its a big learning curve ,best of luck.

I think you're doing the right thing by keeping well away. He sounds a bit messed up to me . I've only been threatened once and I informed the police immediately , they just took notes and left, at least you now know that no matter how big the bully is, you now have the law on your side.
Never fight fire with fire. Fight fire with water (Rickson Gracie)

He's obviously a nutter, I wouldn't be worried about it.

Whether you are Right or wrong I'd apologize try and smooth the waters offer a little something and never deal with him again.

He obviously is under the impression right or wrong that you've nicked one of his customers, in reality they are always free agents and you have them as customers for as long as THEY decide and thats true for all of us.

Don't answer any of his calls or texts. It's important to have no communication at all. He'll soon go away

Sponsored Links
Back