UNPROFESSIONAL TRADESMEN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is it with some tradesmen that they promise faithfully to come round and quote or do a job and then not bother to show up or even bother phoning.

It really ****es me off that people (especially tradesmen) make empty promises and then renege.

I have always gone out of my way for a paying customer and value my reputation. If they don't want the job then why not be up front about it.

Unprofessional ************ :evil:

BTW I am a good payer

Sponsored Links
were getting the garden attended to at the min, called laods of gardeners, slab layers, etc, only a couple bothered turning up.

cant understand it, if i personally get a quote opportunity i get there on time, if i cant i call to rearrange, its that simple.

seems some people dont want the work.

if i personally get a quote opportunity i get there on time, if i cant i call to rearrange, its that simple.

Thats how it should be if you value your reputation. If you don't fancy the job then refuse it and don't mess people around!

I hate empty promises! :(

Sponsored Links
i think not.

pot kettle still stands.

i never said he wasnt messed about / undercut, but that does not mean he has the right to F some one else about does it. or perhaps it does, and thats why he never got what he wanted because he said he would do something and didnt.

Well im glad its not just me then. Last year I called many to come out and give me quotes for jobs that totalled around £3k.

One decided that hed go to a last minute party and had I not called I wouldnt have been the wiser. Others didnt bother to turn up and others I called were running late but didnt think to give me a call to let me know.

Its my one bug bear with builders - wouldnt mind if they called or texted to say they were running late as I know building work can run over. I joined a certain site to find tradesmen who showed their interest to come and look at my jobs - every single one of them turned up at the time they said they were going to and those that were late called me apart from one.
I've now decided that if I make an appointment and its been confirmed, then thats it and if they dont call and are running late I wont be sitting in waiting for them.

I hate people wasting my time and find it annoying that a small thing like a phone call could sort things out.

cant understand it, if i personally get a quote opportunity i get there on time, if i cant i call to rearrange, its that simple.

seems some people dont want the work.

sorry jeffoss, pot, kettle i think

..........i said ill see what i can do.

like fudge i will

seems you doing a "joe90" here breezer, you took that quote totally out of context. not gonna get a rise from me, try again

i think not.

pot kettle still stands.

i never said he wasnt messed about / undercut, but that does not mean he has the right to F some one else about does it. or perhaps it does, and thats why he never got what he wanted because he said he would do something and didnt.

again taking it out of context, if you read the post i put, you will see the quote was agreed then she changed her mind, why should i help a customer who has not only gone behind my back, also when she got let down by new guy asked me to get someone to undercut me?

youd stand for that would you?

you would honestly go out of your way?

or not do it??

there you go, thats the most ill rise there.

well im glad its not just me then. last year i called many to come out and give me quotes for jobs that totalled around £3k - one decided that hed go to a last minute party and had i not called i wouldnt have been the wiser, others didnt bother to turn up and others i called were running late but didnt think to give me a call to let me know - its my one bug bear with builders - wouldnt mind if they called or texted to say they were running late as i know building work can run over but i have to say i thought things had changed. i joined a certain site to find tradesmen who showed their interest to come and look at my jobs - every single one of them turned up at the time they said they were going to and those that were late called me apart from one. But ive now decided that if i make an appointment and its beenconfirmed then thats it - if the dont call and are running late i wont be sitting in waiting for them so if they turn up i no longer care and move on to the next builder. i hate people wasting my time and find it annoying that a small thing like a phone call could sort things out.

i quite agree with you which is why i always make appointments i can keep and phone if im running late. what really ****es me off are customers who phone to make an appoointment and then dont have the good grace to be in as arranged. They dont get a second chance. :evil:

On another note.

After you have given a customer quote,do you follow it up with a phone call asking if they received the quote and if they are interested in you doing the work?Asking why if they dont require your services.

Personally i dont do this yet,but have been thinking about it recently.

i agree with you Thermo i guess it can work both ways - i now give an extra half hour incase they are running late but i wont waste my phone bill now cos all the time i have phoned to check - its cos they either forgot and said i should have reminded them!!!! or that they had other things to do or did i want to rearrange.

What is it with some tradesmen that they promise faithfully to come round and quote or do a job and then not bother to show up or even bother phoning.

It really p****s me off that people (especially tradesmen) make empty promises and then renege.

I have always gone out of my way for a paying customer and value my reputation. If they don't want the job then why not be up front about it.

Unprofessional ************ :evil:

BTW I am a good payer

This is a very common problem I do believe world wide.

The least these bums can do is call and say they are running late or tell the truth that they realize they are to incompetent to do the job properly or they realized they gave a low ball number.

I just had to take over a job for over 1.4 million dollars as the plumber who was on the job was so far behind schedule they threw him off and asked me to please finish it as they have apartments already sold and people want to move in.

They should be more penalty clauses on contracts so the low lifes are fined out of business or at least put up a bond so if they don't show the account gets some type of restitution

As a customer i don't expect people to always turn up at the time they said, jobs run on, traffic can be a nightmare etc etc, but a phone call is polite i think if its going to be more than say half an hour.

Sponsored Links
Back