Helpless and hopeless...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm very sorry if this seems like an inappropriate post. It *is* a bit of a rant, but I'm at my wits' end.

My partner and I own a 100-year old terraced house in East London. For nearly ten years, we have been trying to get various problems with our house sorted out. We have engaged numerous firms to do pieces of work, and have encountered similar problems with nearly all of them.

The first problem is what I would describe as an 'unprofessional' attitude. They make appointments and then don't turn up, or turn up late, without even calling you to let you know what is happening. Or alternatively they turn up without having made an appointment. They make other promises they fail to keep (e.g. to provide a written quote, to call you the next day). They don't return phone calls, texts or emails. When a firm operates like this, it really puts me off using them, whatever the quality of their workmanship.

The second is simple ineptitude. Pretty much every tradesman we have used has started off by looking at the work of the tradesman before him, sucking his teeth and saying, "That last lot were a bunch of cowboys weren't they?" Frequently they have then gone on to make a complete bodge of the job themselves. For instance, one concrete floor was relaid twice and still ended up being uneven and not remotely level. On another occasion we had to let a guy go after he tried to install pipes in a floor without digging deep enough holes.

We've tried every suggested method for finding reliable tradespeople - personal recommendation, internet sites like TrustATrader and MyBuilder, trade association websites - but we are yet to find a firm which offers a truly professional level of service, such as one would expect when dealing with (say) a solicitor or even a garage. As a result we are left feeling helpless and hopeless about the possibility of ever getting our house sorted.

My question to the tradespeople on this forum is, are we doing something wrong? Or is this just an East London thing? If anyone out there can shed any light at all on our situation, I'd really appreciate it!

Many thanks,

Gareth

Sponsored Links
I`ve had dealings with Solicitors in the past, found some of them to be very unprofessional lot, they have made monumental mistakes, had to refer several to the Solicitors Complaints Bureau same with big name Garages, One has to accept not all business`s live up the Publicity they give themselves when advertising their work.

I get the feeling you are just "pigeon holing" Tradespeople, maybe you are not explaining to the Tradespeople your expectations of work standards.

I'm genuinely not trying to wind anyone up, I'm sorry if it appears that way. I'm hoping to get some insight into why I seem completely unable to get results in this area. If anyone can provide that insight it's surely tradespeople themselves. It would be great to get some suggestions about the best way to approach these kinds of transactions, for instance.

I take the point about solicitors not always being good either - but at least solicitors are regulated and there is a body to complain to when they get it wrong! With regard to explaining my expectations, I have wondered whether I am maybe just not being assertive enough. Then another part of me feels that I shouldn't have to explain. Surely turning up when you say you are going to turn up (for example) is just basic professional courtesy?

Gareth

Sponsored Links
There are organisations one can complain to regarding bad standard of workmanship by Trades People if you feel its justified
Small Claims Court,
or Trading Standards, so you really shouldnt think its hopeless.
You are paying the money you are in charge.

You may be using Trade Associations etc to find a tradesman, but what criteria are you using to select the one you actually use? Lowest Price? Reputation? References?

ask them if they can show some previous work they've done? Also are they ready for work straight away? because I have seen the better tradesmen are actually booked up for a few weeks (even months!) and unable to start straight away

Thanks all for the helpful hints and tips. I'm going to try to have a more positive attitude from now on, and also be a bit more assertive and demanding!

Gareth

Trade associations of any kind: RSCS, RIBA, the Law Society, Trust a Trader or whatever, exist solely for two reasons: reason one is to make as much money as they can for themselves, and reason two to protect the interests of their members - just so long as the members pay their fees.

All these recent internet scoundrel sites with their ridiculous names and claims are the worst possible sources for finding good workers.

The only possibility since whenever has been recommendation by somebody you know, and even then its pot luck. But at least you might be able to see their recent work at the friends place.
Do not rely on anything traders say, even supplied recommendations to see their work could be a scam.

The movie, "American Hustle" describes the world as it is - a simple gigantic con game.

Remember Vito Corleone: "I refused to be a fool."

rees got it I am a master builder . I refuse like many other time served tradesmen(in the days of apprentiships have taught many)pay a fee to some suit permitting me to trade. they are all parasites making a living off other peoples skills. on many occasions I have been followed on site by some college grad sent by a RIBA firm noting down all the work done. then go back to the office present it to the client and bang in a fee that would pay for a weekend in rome for two. back to the rant perhaps if you actually posted some requests for advice on particular problems you may get some useful info. which is what this forum is for

Thanks all for the helpful hints and tips. I'm going to try to have a more positive attitude from now on, and also be a bit more assertive and demanding!

Gareth

I would love to know the answer to getting a good job done so much so I posted up a thread here but got no answers!

As an insight - I offer a trade service and I can tell very very quickly ie from a few conversations or communications whether I wish to work for a client as can IMO any trade who has been in business a good few years.

A potential client who is assertive or demanding will either be charged a premium or will be ignored!

If someone is getting multiple rejections from tradespeople whether that be ****e work or bad service then I think one would have to question the approach used in dealing with the trades.

IMO there are always firms out there that will do great work but you have to pay through the nose for them unless you lucky to find that elusive tradesperson who does great work cheap.

Again IMO, the root cause of most client v tradesperson discontent is the client seeking to paying as little as possible. we're all guilty of it including me!

Sponsored Links
Back