Where To Find Good Quality Tradesman / Plumber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am looking to have someone drain our boiler and clear out sludge without power flushing (as done want to damage radiators) that are old

Th eproblem is I cannot find someone reliable - I try to stay away from those MyBuilder / ratedpeople websites so can anyone suggest where tradesman can be found that are fair honest and reasonable!!!

The work is in Hendon north west london and apart from mybuilder types of websites I dont know where to find one

Your advice is most appreciated!!!!

Sponsored Links
Powerflushing won't damage radiators, whether it will clean them or not is another matter.

Hi chloe

Word of mouth is best so ask around neighbours, friends etc to see if they have used anyone reliable. Don't go with the big companies as It will cost you too much.

Chloe, I suspect you don't want the system power flushed because you think that's going to be expensive, often about £350 is quoted.

But the reality is that its the most effective way to clean a system.

There is a further problem that the best chemicals to use are acidic and can cause rads to leak whether power flushed or not.

How did you come to the conclusion that your system has sludge?

Tony

Sponsored Links
which local is the best place to find an installer...Which have no relation with the installer so people say what they want and it does not get edited...

I would suggest CIPHE.org, thats the Chartered Institute of Plumbing nad Heating Engineering. (its an Educational Charity, I am a Registered Plumber and a Member as it happens)...

They have a 'find a registered plumber' based on postcode entry. Its free, and you can look at your leisure.

DH

But less than 10% of plumbers are members of the CIPHE and membership fees and the costs off attending their golf weekends increases expenses.

Their membership profile is heavily weighted to the over 55s.

A few years ago I went to take part in a BBC TV program called Test The Nation where 50 plumbers from the CIPHE took on examiners, estate agents and housewives etc.

Done live for two hours with Adrian Chiles and Ann Robinson with a further 30 min after a half hour break for the news.

Very well organised I have to say feeding us all and doing the show live.

But less than 10% of plumbers are members of the CIPHE and membership fees and the costs off attending their golf weekends increases expenses.

Their membership profile is heavily weighted to the over 55s.

maybe its the top 10% then, and of course I pay memebrship costs, dunno about the Golf though, maybe its a London&Home counties thing

And I am gald to say I come under the 55 years age average, but only just...

DH

Assuming you go to the regional meetings, do you often see anyone younger than you?

They used to have a very lively forum but after some people being silly it was closed down and never reopened in the same format.

The OP seems to have gone to sleep and is not saying anything in spite of my questions to her!

Tony

Is Hertfordshire near to OP. ? There`s a poster on here who does drainage/plumbing in Herts ;)

Chloe, I suspect you don't want the system power flushed because you think that's going to be expensive, often about £350 is quoted.

But the reality is that its the most effective way to clean a system.

There is a further problem that the best chemicals to use are acidic and can cause rads to leak whether power flushed or not.

How did you come to the conclusion that your system has sludge?

Tony

I have heard that some of the bigger companies charge around £800

Tony has a funny habit of posting prices with little or no knowledge of the job required :LOL:

He covers the OP's area - perhaps she can call him and get it done for that ;).

i've been known to hang around north west london.

but I wouldn't do a powerflush, its snake oil for cowboys.

what makes you think the system is sludged up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back