spotting poor quality work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apart from the question if part L failures can be prosecuted successfully or not, I think it is showing real lack of interest in doing a good job when you install no roomstat at all, or in a really bad place where it does not work properly. I am just wondering if it is something specific to my area or that it is a give-away for a poor quality system everywhere.
When I come across a system with poor controls I invariably find the following problems:
Poor if not dangerous wiring like 13 amp fuse on 0.75 wire and unsheathed wires.
Failing bonding, sometimes as bad as no meb at all, let alone supplementary.
Zone or diverter valves wired up in such a way that the cylinder always comes on, so it seems everything works fine.
Flue not at correct distance from openings or corners
System full of sludge and acidic.
In the majority of cases, the above is found with really cheap boilers.
Is this a typical London thing or is it everywhere?

Sponsored Links
Everywhere....but i say keep it up....keeps me in a job sorting it all out :LOL:

I am just wondering if it is something specific to my area or that it is a give-away for a poor quality system everywhere.
When I come across a system with poor controls I invariably find the following problems:
Poor if not dangerous wiring like 13 amp fuse on 0.75 wire and unsheathed wires.
Failing bonding, sometimes as bad as no meb at all, let alone supplementary.
Flue not at correct distance from openings or corners
System full of sludge and acidic.
Is this a typical London thing or is it everywhere?

I do alot of landlords checks, just started for 1 company 6 months ago, it's amazing what the last firm passed and how they repaired things, already had to report 2 incedents that could of been deadly.
Mostly I find sludge, 13 amp fuse, incorrect gas pipe (couldn't be arsed to upgrade when the boiler was replaced), noe bonding- anywhere, insufficient controls and the list goes on.

I checked a junior 24i which had been installed in 2005, the flue terminated 160mm from the back door. Think thats a little to close :LOL:

The installer hadn't even filled out the Benchmark book either, 2 year old Worcester boiler that is over heating and phantom pressure it also sounds rougher then my diesel van.

So, no it's not just in London, happens in Cornwall too.

Al

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back