Boiler on every 55 seconds and some lukewarm rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really hope someone can help as I can't afford to tear any more hair out!

The problem

Boiler cuts out and comes back on every 55 seconds
4 (out of 8 ) downstairs rads are lukewarm at best

The situation

Large house with 16 rads, 8 upstairs 8 downstairs. System is about 25 years old including the boiler which is a gloworm (forget the model). Radiators upstairs work ok (not great) and downstairs there are 4 rads which are poor. The 4 poor rads are all connected with microbore all others are 15mm. 2 bypass, one to bathroom rad other direct back to boiler.

Work done so far

New two way port valve (hot water) installed.
Bypass valve installed (only service valve before, which was locked open)
Boiler serviced
Chemical flush, 6 downstairs rads removed and flushed with hose
Pump checked and is fine
Room thermostat is fine
After this there was still little or no improvement so I bought a power flushing machine and gave a it a good flush through, all rads seemed to work for 48 hours then the 4 bad ones went stone cold.
I have also balanced and rebalanced several times.

What now?

When I was doing the power flush I did suggest that if it still didn't work we could try replacing one rad to see if that helped but the client and myself are a little reticent to do this when one day a rad works and the next it doesn't....why did it work in the first place and now why doesn't it? The water ran clear on every rad when power flushing and also had flush buddy attached - there was no sludge left in the system and all other radiators work great now.

I have suggested all along that he could well need a new boiler, but not sure that would cure anything and the client likes the idea of ruling out cheap possibilities rather than try a $1700 (sorry no pound sign) new boiler installation. However we seem to be running out of ideas.

Also I know that microbore is pants but short of a replumb what else can be done?

I'm sure I've left out lots of info that people will need to help, so just ask.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Running for that long is usually a sign of overheating due to a poor circulation.

Have you checked the boiler thermostats?
Are there any TRV's fitted?
How do you know the pump is working properly?

Andy - Have checked vent and feed pipe....both clear.

D_Hailsham - No TRVs all lockshields, when the boiler was serviced the thermostat was checked and found to be ok. Re the pump, I took the large screw out and stuck my screwdriver in to test the speed the impeller was working, it was quick.

Sponsored Links
Firstly you will need to get the boiler running for longer than 55 secs.

Why is it shutting down? Is it losing the call from the room and/or cylinder stats or is it shutting itself down? Is the problem boiler or external control?

Make sure boiler control stat is set to max. Is there a demand light on the boiler panel? If not test for presence of voltage on boiler switched live as burner shuts down. With you meter on the SWL terminal get your assistant to operate room and cylinder stat through their range to check switching.

On the boilers first ignition it stays on for some time, and then when the return water to the boiler is hot it shuts off, but the room temp is still below the desired setting (set at 20c at the moment), it then is on and off for the 55 seconds every time. I believe this is because the room stat is signalling the need for more heat to the rads even though the return to the boiler is at the desired temp.

Will check what you suggest anyway

OK so boiler is shutting itself down although boiler control stat is set to max.

System and pump are bled, pump is good and up full speed, all rads are open and lockshields not too restrictive; try shutting off bypass.

Heat exchanger may be furred up or boiler control stat defective.

You could try forcing boiler on for longer by linking across the thermostat to see what happens. Refer to installation manual for wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back