Powerflush microbore? - 6 of 15 rads cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My CH system is 25 years old and has 15 rads connected with microbore piping. The rads have double entry valves on one end of each rad. 6 of the rads are not working. A plumber has taken the rads that are not working off and says they are not blocked and the blockage is in the pipe work. He has recommended replacing all the valves with ones on each end before power flushing. Says cannot power flush blocked microbore system with current valves. Estimate £1250. Do you agree?

Sponsored Links
Yes . not really succsessful to flush microbore pipe work, definitley not with double entry valves.

Without seeing job initial reaction is that £1250 is a bit high :eek:

Doesnt it push the spreaders off when powerflushing?

Well, it has with me.

DS40. I love it. Be brave!

David

Sponsored Links
Would agree microbore much better with valve at each end.
power flushing dosnt work overly well with microbore,especially with those valves
Sounds a bit costly as said but there may be reasons for that on viewing
If power flush is £400 ish that leaves £800 ish to replace valves and run a bit of pipework on each
When powerflushing microbore I usually pretreat with Kamco Hyperflush a couple of weeks beforehand,seems to help dislodge the crud

Twin entry rad valves are total poo.
Price sounds ok to me if he is going to fit Thermostatic rad valves.
If any of the pipes happen to be blocked solid then those sections will need renewing as well

20 minute speed merchants, bang `em in & bail out,suck it up :D :D

dgwilliams said:
My CH system is 25 years old and has 15 rads connected with microbore piping. The rads have double entry valves on one end of each rad. 6 of the rads are not working. A plumber has taken the rads that are not working off and says they are not blocked and the blockage is in the pipe work. He has recommended replacing all the valves with ones on each end before power flushing. Says cannot power flush blocked microbore system with current valves. Estimate £1250. Do you agree?

Certainly N0!! it may be a case off balancing it may be more, I cannot see you paying one thousand pounds, you are being ripped off.

Our system is same age/design/size. Try the simple things first:

a) Balance - turn the lock shields down slightly on those rad that are hot to force water through the other rads.
b) Pump speed to max.
c) Turn hot rads off alltogether.
b) Chemical flush (if first two work just a simple drain and refill, with inhibitor).

This is gonna hurt. Forget chemical flushing,everyone thinks it`s a wondercure, between me & you & every Engineer on the website......it doesn`t work..remove each rad, take it out into garden,flush through with garden hose, refit, best powerflush in the world. Save yourself at least 500 balloons.

So how does this clear the blockages in the pipework that have been stated by someone who has seen the system? or is this another one of your jokes?
Pete

Fluffster said:
So how does this clear the blockages in the pipework that have been stated by someone who has seen the system? or is this another one of your jokes?
Pete

Someone has seen the system & has decreed their is a blockage in the pipeworK?..better engineer than me Fellah, I normally go for the removables, i,e rads etc, if that don`t work I may isolate certain sections of pipework, after that we`ll see ;)

Yes I would agree we use the same logic however with my experience of microbore it is so easily blocked not to mention the double entry pipe sleeves falling off.
Pete

Fluffster said:
So how does this clear the blockages in the pipework that have been stated by someone who has seen the system? or ?
Pete

That would be Superman who has inspected the pipework would it??

impossible to say without seeing the system.

the rads that are cold, are either of the 2 pipes at the valve hot? if not then the manifolds will be blocked and should be repiped.

you cannot powerflush twin entry valves

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back