Advice needed on overdue payment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the end of January I repaired a washing machine for a new customer.
I left a bill for just over £70.
After two weeks I hadn't received payment so I tried to contact him, but his phone number would not register anymore.
I called round at his house only to find the premises empty!!!
I called round last week and spoke to a neighbour who was his landlord and has given me his new address.
Can anyone advice me what to do.
Do I send him a reminder or should I knock on his door and confront him.
I know we're not talking a huge sum of money but it's the principal etc.

Sponsored Links
Looks like if you send him a reminder he'll just ignore it. Face to face you will probably get a better response, as he will know then that you know is new address. Otherwise take it as a learning experience when dealing with tenanted premises. It happens once in a blue moon to us all.

Take the bill around in person, tell him you can wait while he writes a cheque or pops to the cash point. Dont let any amount of money slide, I certainly cant afford to let anyone have £70 of my money, on the other hand, if you are giving cash away I will let you know my address and you can send me some :)

I know we're not talking a huge sum of money but it's the principal etc.

If you are in business for yourself, it is always the money and never the principle.

You must have some idea of this person's demeanour, so if some sort of confrontation is likely to get messy (and you are not the sort of person able to deal with this) then a letter, with a 5 day deadline would suffice, followed by your normal way for dealing with bad payers

Sponsored Links
reminder as stated, then a ccj.

its about 40 quid to slap one on him

with a ccj, its unlikely he can move on with any ease ;)

Take your missus with you, (if you had ever met mine you'd know why!!!)

If you ain't got a missus, take your muvver.

DH

Works for me. scary.

What i would do is confront him in person, if you want take a mate but he needs to stay in the van prefrably out of eye shot then he can be a witness if anything kicks off then you can tell him you have no choice but to take out a ccj as recommended. He'll pay :evil:

write to him with a copy of bill give 7 days then tell him that you will charge 8 percent per day take out a small claims summons claim all expenses

Sponsored Links
Back