Problem customer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm after a little bit of advice.

I did a job around nine months ago for a friend of a friend. The bloke lost his job while I was halfway through doing his bathroom.

He told me he was still going to get a final months pay and that he'd give me half the total for my work (£550) and then the rest when he's back in a job which I said was fine.

I finished the job and there was a couple of small problems which I sorted.

The end of the month came and I rang to arrange payment, he said he was still waiting on his employers to pay him. From then on he's never answered his phone and just kept texting me. Ever since its all been lies - a cheque is in the post, I've transferred the money, your bank details aren't working, I'm waiting for a contractor to pay me and as soon as I get it ill pay you etc. I never really chased too much as he was a friend of a friend assumed he'd pay me eventually.

Now around four month ago he got a new job. Rang to tell me he needs two wage packets to get back on track with his mortgage payments and that he'd pay me when the third comes through. I rang him on the day he suggested and he didn't answer. Later that evening nine months after doing the work I got a text message saying:

"The bathroom is defected in a number of areas, which has meant I will need to pay for this to be remedied. I will send details of this to you in an official communication."

The first time he'd mentioned any problems... He hasn't been in contact since and that was six weeks ago.

Where do I stand? Should I speak to a solicitor? Small claims?

Maybe this place? http://www.cashflowprotector.co.uk/debt/

Please help if you have any suggestions, I'm seriously fed up about it all and just want to know whether its worth my time chasing it or whether to just let it go!

Thanks (sorry for any mistakes, all written on my phone!)[/list]

Sponsored Links
If he has got assets, or a job, don't mess about any more. Small claims court. The
Clerks will help with the process (but not advise).

You have been more than fair so far. He's banking on wearing you down and you giving up. I would threaten small claims first, but set a deadline - eg. if not paid in full in 14 days, I will start court proceedings - and stick to it.

Hopefully just the threat will get results. Small claims costs £50 up to £500, or £80 up to £1000, i believe. You can claim reasonable expenses as well. You don't need a brief, it's all straightforward and not too time consuming. There is a wealth of help and info online.

It's worth a bit of effort to get what you're owed.

Yup go for it tell him he can have a CCJ to add to all his other "problems"
Good luck,
footprints

Sponsored Links
Back