Accounts Package

J

Johnmelad502

Small one man business, what package (affordable) is recomended?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

My advice is....don't bother with an accounts package for a small business. You will probably find that you will waste too much time trying to work out how to use it as they are usually more complicated than they need to be. My previous experience has been with Sage and Quickbooks which are both too complex for a small business. That said, I have also used an online package which is quite simple. The name escapes me at present but I will post again when I remember!

I currently use different spreadsheets to record income (invoices), subbies wages, CIS tax and expenses etc. My Accountants are very happy with these.

Is there something specific that you need an accounts package for, that a spreadsheet won't give you?

Cheers

VB

Sage is waste of money indeed IMHO.

For a simple cash accounting package I can recommend RCAP: Rapid Cash Accounting Package (used by various DIY-not members here too). Create by my accountant especially for self-employed traders/small organisations etc.

Sponsored Links
Good point, I'll tell him. Rest assured, there will be support from him in the event you get stuck.

I can confirm the support for RCAP. I recently found an error in one of the calculations, and this was quickly rectified with all my data migrated across to a new version FOC. Excellent service.

Tbh, Quickbooks is fairly easy. Buy a copy of QB and also a "Quickbooks for Dummies" yellow book and you should suss it easily.

The best thing about quickbooks is you can correct mistakes and change stuff ;)

Forget ALL of the above!

There is a web based product that i have used now for my courier business that is so easy to use its unbelievable and it is really really flexible!

kASHFLOW>

There is a free trial i think. it costs about £15 a month and no set up costs, try it !

youll thanks me in 6 months :eek:)

Forget ALL of the above!

There is a web based product that i have used now for my courier business that is so easy to use its unbelievable and it is really really flexible!

kASHFLOW>

There is a free trial i think. it costs about £15 a month and no set up costs, try it !

Agreed, it does look good but it costs £15 per month. QB cost me £200 four years ago. Four years of Kashflow = £720+vat :eek:

i know a better pack .......... a good accountant!! :D

Get yer reciepts in order so you dont get charged too much, put a summary sheet at front of what youve done/speadsheet and voila

Forget ALL of the above!

kASHFLOW>

Agreed, it does look good but it costs £15 per month. QB cost me £200 four years ago. Four years of Kashflow = £720+vat :eek:

But you cant use all the pc based programmes anywhere you go, and if you dont back up and your harddrive packs up then you are knackered + the invoicing setup makes your company look very proffessional when emailing/posting invoices.
Also i have been very happy with the support that they give you.

I realise that many don't like Sage, but I have always used Sage instant accounts and pay roll and have always found it really simple to use and get on with.

As most accountants use this as well it makes it easy at the end of the year just to give them a copy of your accounts to work with.

Each to their own I suppose ;)

Sponsored Links
Back