Accumulator Specification Help

To be honest, if you are getting 2 bar dynamic @ 19L/Min at peak demand in the house then I would question why an accumulator is even being considered.

Sponsored Links
To be honest, if you are getting 2 bar dynamic @ 19L/Min at peak demand in the house then I would question why an accumulator is even being considered.
Hi @Madrab

The house is a building site and I'm just working with what the contractor's engineer is advising.

2 bar dynamic, and 19L/min, was at off-peak and with ONLY one garden tap on. So very low demand.

Previously, an electric shower on thr top floor (2nd) didn't have enough pressure to operate during Peak Demand, with only the shower turned on in the house.

OK, if there isn't enough pressure or flow to feed one electric shower @ peak demand then your peak dynamic pressure and flow is extremely low, especially if has then at least 5-6m head to overcome to get to the 2nd floor.

IMO though an accumulator is not the answer as it will run out of puff in no time at all especially with a 300L unvented @ peak use, then it falls back to a 12L/Min max flow as that is the limit when it comes to mains pumping.

The stored pumped booster set system is much more effective and provides a much larger storage capacity which your property will need to supply both hot and cold at a suitable pressure across a range of outlets. That storage is then delivered to the whole house at a consistently high pressure and flow as it is independent of the mains.

of course this is all guesswork as none of us are on site and don't have the benefit of that 1st hand knowledge. That being said I would bring these concerns to the professionals who are and ask if there is a risk that the accumulator could be exhausted quite quickly and what the fall back is when that happens. The ST Variboost, is not designed to pump from mains, it is designed to pump water from a cistern (like a booster set). The accumulator is not a cistern, so once the volume in the accumulator is used up, what would the variboost be drawing directly from .... the mains? That could be fraught with problems, not least the impact to the mains supply to the neighbourhood. Are your mains metered? A few questions, I would suggest need answered

The stored pumped booster set system is much more effective and provides a much larger storage capacity which your property will need to supply both hot and cold at a suitable pressure across a range of outlets. That storage is then delivered to the whole house at a consistently high pressure and flow as it is independent of the mains.

Thank you.

Would a stored pump mains be this, like John suggested:

Sponsored Links
That's certainly 1 maker, it provides the solution of a large stored cold water cistern with a variable pumped supply to the domestic hot and cold supplies.

I'd do some investigation into the maker/product like any large investment but that's certainly the type and size of system I would be looking at with the info supplied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back