accurate sliding mitre saw but which are the best

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At present I've got a knackered old makita , 7 year old dewalt I use for decking etc but I need a accurate saw for cornices etc , within reason not looking for cheap but good quality with large cutting capacity ideally..any recommendations plz

Sponsored Links
Everyone has their own ideas on this. At present I use four different mitre saws, depending on the job, but in terms of accuracy I have to say the Festool Kapex knocks every other mitre saw I have ever used into a cocked hat. The problem is the price.

I personally detest 12in/305mm mitre saws and will only use them when a 10in/260mm saw can't handle the task (which is rarely in my experience) - they weigh too much, they are too big and bulky, they suffer more from blade warping (especially when doing trim cuts where only one side of the blade is in the material - so called "dust cuts"), and on long bevel cuts the cuts can wander because either the heads tend to "squirm" a bit, or the arm flexes. When I do need a large saw I find myself having to check and recheck every important cut. That's based on using DWS780, Milwaukee 12in and Makita LS1219 saws in the last few years. 10in/260mm saws I find a lot more forgiving.

BTW my cordless saw is a Makita DLS110 - bit on the big side for a 10 incher, however I find the fence, as on all the current Makitas, is a bit iffy. I liked the old deWalt DW717 apart from a few issues there seemed to be with the blade guard and the lack of the shadow line technology. Haven't tried the replacement DWS727 yet, though

Last edited by a moderator:
10 inch saw is probably where I want to be I reckon, should handle pretty much 99% of what I do size wise, my gear is mostly makita 18v so was considering makita again but ive not used any of the new ones , brand wise not fussed accurate cutting is what I need for mitres etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back