Sliding mitre saw <£150 recommendations please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've searched this forum and any previous posts on this subject are quite old.

I am in the market for a sliding mitre saw for occasional diy work, ideal if it could cut metal as well, but not critical. More important is accurate cuts. I don't want to spend more than £150.

Sponsored Links
Low cost and accurate cuts very often don't go hand in hand.

The evolution rage is OK for the money. It's not as accurate as a dewalt or makita but its a fraction of the price. You can get it to cut pretty well if you are willing to spend a bit of time squaring it up. Good cut range and it will cut metal. Mine is showing signs of wear after a few years light trade use and I'll probably buy another to replace it.

Costco have a metabo for 129, might get one myself

When you say slider what sort of width do you want to cut up to, general rule of thumb is the wider the cut the more the saw costs

Sponsored Links
metal cutting is evolution/rage
accuracy = £200+
dont forget you can flip to double the cut width
and padding the table out by say 12mm will increase width cut by around 20mm but at the cost off 12mm off the depth off cut

I recently used the Evolution Rage 3 slider to cut 10mm off the end off of a metal handrail pole, was impressed with the accuracy and cut, but I think it can be hit or miss with these.

B&Q are doing a Scheppach one for £92.

The issue here (as others have said) is what you want for the price.

Evolution and Scheppach are hit and miss (see the numerous reviews on both)

The 'BIG' names all have various bits of kit but not all are suitable for metal [with the supplied blade]

Requiring a sliding mechanism (as opposed to a fixed blade) normally adds to the cost.

Do you really need the sliding mechanism?

Do you need to do complex mitring/bevels or just mitres?

The evolution mentioned will fit the bill in as much as it will cut metal AND slide (thus giving you more width)

However, as said, these bits of kit are somewhat hit and miss in respect of build and accuracy.

If you aren't fussed about sliding or complex mitres/bevels, you could purchase one of the bigger names 'fixed' mitre saws which will give you the accuracy you require. Downside is you would probably need to buy an additional blade which would increase cost.

I think most of the BIG names are better for accuracy and build quality but an all-round saw from one of them would be difficult to find and impossible at that price.

Just my tuppence worth FWIW.

B

It also depends if he means DIY accurate, or engineering accurate.
1/2mm out on architrave doesn't matter if a bit of caulk and a coat of paint follows it up.

It also depends if he means DIY accurate, or engineering accurate.
1/2mm out on architrave doesn't matter if a bit of caulk and a coat of paint follows it up.

Fair point but I am a DIYer and wouldn't want any of my mitres necessitating caulk!!

That having been said, I've been fortunate enough to be able to afford 'better' kit

:)

Seen the Scheppach at B&Q and was tempted but can't help think it would be just as crap as the evolution stealth i wasted (or the company did) £129 on, light weight castings, mitre degree measurement was just a sticker and just stuck on anywhere, crooked and already peeling

I'm a firm believer that he who buys cheap buys twice, ok i recently bought a cheap titan electric chainsaw from SF just to remove 1 big bush from the garden, couldn't care less on the quality of cut as it was just a bushor even the quality of the tool itself as i was prepared to throw it away when done yet the thing comes with a 3 year guarantee

The difference with a mitre saw is its main purpose is to cut accurate mitres, otherwise buy a mitre block, for a tool thats designed to give accurate cuts then IMO you need to push the boat out a bit more and buy the best you can afford, even if you go for the cheapeast brand name tool, it'll be better than a £100 chinese jobby

Metabo from costco for £129 is tempting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back