Acme Window Inspection Report?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum or anything but I've asked on quite a few law sites and had no responses so thought I'd try asking some trades!

I have recently sold my property and with less than two weeks to go before the deal is concluded I have recieved a letter from the buyer's solicitor saying they wish to modify part of the deal.

They now say they want an 'Acme Window Inspection Report' to be completed and delivered to them before the deal closes.  The windows were replaced before I bought the property 7 years ago and I have no info on them at all.  However I've never had a problem with them and the Home Report never picked up any problems.

I got the letter yesterday and haven't been able to contact my solicitor so have now worked myself into a real panic thinking this is some desperate attempt to get out of the sale without penalty!  I have already purchased another place based on the sale of this one so am dreading what this means.  I have searched the web loads of different ways and don't get any results for 'Acme Window Inspection.'

Can anyone tell me what this report is? How much it costs? Is it a normal thing to ask for? Am I being daft?!

Any help greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
I have recently sold my property and with less than two weeks to go before the deal is concluded I have recieved a letter from the buyer's solicitor saying they wish to modify part of the deal.
Firstly, the purchaser's solicitor should not have written to you but to your solicitor.

Secondly, when you say you have sold the house, have you exchanged contracts?

Thirdly, if the purchasers want a report, it is their responsibility to commission and pay for the report.

Lastly, don't panic. Just get in touch with your solicitor in the morning and leave it to him. That's what you are paying him a lot of money for.

Firstly, the purchaser's solicitor should not have written to you but to your solicitor.

Thirdly, if the purchasers want a report, it is their responsibility to commission and pay for the report.

Lastly, don't panic. Just get in touch with your solicitor in the morning and leave it to him. That's what you are paying him a lot of money for.

Sadly it's only when you actually exchange contracts that the house is sold.
Right up till these are exchanged, the prospective buyer can pull out. Unless you live in Scotland where the house selling and buying laws are different from the rest of the UK.
In Scotland, you submit a sealed offer for the property. If it's accepted, you have a legal responsibility to buy the property. No last minute change of mind.

Sadly it's only when you actually exchange contracts that the house is sold. Right up till these are exchanged, the prospective buyer can pull out.
Which is why I asked the question! But why "sadly"?

Sponsored Links
Probably because he has 'bought' another house on the strength of the sale of this one and if this one falls through because first contracts haven't been exchanged he could end up with 2 properties on his hands and not have the means to pay for both.
Once first contracts are exchanged either side can still pull out but it usually reults in a very heavy penalty.

We could do with the Scottish system of house buying here in England. Would put an end to buyers pulling out at the last minute (ooooerr missus). It would stop gazzumping and would almost certainly stop these sellers and buyers who become part of a chain that can be broken at any stage. Certainly a much more equitable system the Scot's have.

Acme ..... Report :LOL: Like the Acme Anvil that falls on Wily Coyote in Roadrunner :idea: . All sounds MM to me ;)

Back