Acrow sufficient for this wall or strongboys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can i use only 2x4 timber on acrow on this wall(not needles on either side) for supporting upstairs wall or should strongboys be used. Are these joists supporting upstairs wall as I intend to put RSJ under wall pla for 2.4 metre long.

View media item 66322 [/img]

Sponsored Links
I'd use two 2.7m strong backs on either side with a prop under each end.
The joists will then carry the above wall.

No idea what Norcs is on about but he will likely try and view it from a massive civil engineering point of view with priceless advice about how much stuff costs where he lives.

However back to your job.

All you need is a stout timber plank and probably three acros for support.

If you are locating the steel beam directly under where the floor joists cross over then the propping on just one side (visible in your image) will be enough to hold the joists from both rooms as well as the wall above.

You will need a further two acros to deal with the beam.

Sponsored Links
I'd do it like this.... and no props blocking the opening and the load completely balanced.
Like I said,, two strong backs either side and a prop at each end. For those of you that can't count that's 4 props.
Where I come from they are called "strong backs". "Boys" were never strong! We don't take chances!
dmo7.png

I'd do it like this.... and no props blocking the opening and the load completely balanced.
That's great that is Norcs, but how YOU do things often has no reflection upon how it should be done.

As i have said, judging by the image it is likely that you will only need to prop one side so access will not be hindered by using three props, nor will you have to get some ridiculous propping beams.

What Norcs probably hasn't read, or he has and took no notice and ploughed on regardless, is that the intended opening is a mere 2.4m long.

You stick to unfeasibly large civil engineering projects and leave domestic building to the pro's.

Nice image by the way.

You stick to unfeasibly large civil engineering projects and leave domestic building to the pro's.

Since when did large civil engineering projects become unfeasible?
Not with me at the helm I can assure you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back