Acrylic grout for vinyl?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got some round-edged vinyl tiles from Wickes, which need grouting - I believe. Reading up, the recommendation seems to be acrylic grout for vinyl. I can't find anything of the sort listed on screwfix etc; where am I going wrong?

Sponsored Links
google "vinyl tile grout"

I've never installed or encountered this kind of installation and wouldn't advise it for DIY from what i see on the web.

Hi Ree,

I've come to the same conclusion; we're going to install them without grout. Due to depth, flexible cement grout would probably fall apart - I couldn't even find acrylic grout. The deal was sealed when I found a picture of the tiles installed - no grout. :)

Sponsored Links
Here's one of the few pictures I have (we moved) after tarting up the kitchen.

I don't think I would ever use vinyl tiles again. They're a bit of a pain in the ass, and the good ones aren't any cheaper than basic 'real' tiles.

View media item 98324

I didn't didn find the sticky backs overly sticky, so I had to use flexible tile adhesive to make them really grip. They had a tendency to move a very small amount as you went along.

This isn't a problem when you're grouting, as half a millimetre difference between two out of twenty tiles is no problem, but not with those.

The bevelled edges trapped the odd bit of dirt.

If i was going to use vinyl again, I'd definitely go for sheets.

I must have got lucky. I had B&Q peel and stick tiles and grouted them 1/8" spacers. Looked great, just like stone and lasted 10 years. A great solution if you have a sloping floor, can't rip your kitchen out to re-screed and don't have money to burn.

Given that this thread has been reactivated...

A few years ago, I got a guy from my local pub to lay some vinyl strip flooring (he was a floorer). He used silicone to fill any tiny gaps and washed it down with a sponge.

For days, our dogs kept slipping on the floor. We spent hours scrubbing the floor with alkali based floor cleaners. At a guess, I spent up to 8 hours to remove the excess silicone. It only took him two days to lay the strip flooring.

Needless to say, I stopped recommending him to my customers after that, and, I ended up recutting some of the strips...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back