karndean vinyl tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,

I wonder if anybody can help....

I hope to tile my kitchen floor with some karndean vinyl tiles this weekend. The current floor is solid concrete with tatty old vinyl over the top.

My original plan was to lift the vinyl, clean the floor, apply self leveling compound, leave 24 hrs, apply acrylic adhesive and tile. Sounds simple. However, after browsing this forum it seems that the leveling compound may be a waste of time and money unles the floor is really bad underneath the old vinyl? does anybody have an opinion on this? Keen to do a proper job that will last, but no point in making work for yourself is there?

Thanks,

George

Sponsored Links
Do you want to know the "secret" in installing a longlasting Karndean floor?

the answer is simple - get a professional to do it for you!!!!
Sticking the tiles down is the easy bit
Cutting them neatly is a skill but within a competant DIYers capability

...........However

Good floor preperation is absolutely essential and definately MUST include using the correct screed first. "selflevelling compound" is a wide ranging term that does not necessarily describe the correct screed. Professional instalation would normally specify a latex based screed (of which there are several). If you do manage to spec the correct screed can you apply it?
...it needs to be mirror smooth - any undulations will stick out like a sore thumb
Cutting corners with this type of flooring only leads to dissapointment. - this forum is littered with threads from people complaining about lifting karndean flooring - all down to poor floor preperation!

Sorry to sound so negative but asking questions like "Do I really need a screed" leads me to sumise that you are about to waste the money you spent on your Karndean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back