which tile adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
She who must be obeyed has decide that she wants the kitchen floor tiled and has chosen the tiles which are from one of the sheds. Only trouble is looked at the various adhesives and not sure which to go for.Floor is ashphalt with (not very)levelling compound with vinyl tiles stuck down,done by previous owner. I`m removing the vinyl tiles but should I go for the adhesive designed for ashphalt floors? -only asking due to the layer of levelling compound that has been put down

Sponsored Links
No problem with the asphalt or the SLC. You just need to ensure that the floor is free from grease and dust. Sweep, mop twice then vacuum. Then tile using a good powdered adhesive. Use an adhesive suitable for porcelain tiles to accomadate the lack of porosity of the asphalt.

So although the tiles are ceramic,forgot to mention that, I should use an adhesive for porcelain tiles due to the ashphalt floor?

Well every days a learning day :)

That's it. Porcelain isn't very porous so it will absorb very little moisture which, whilst that makes them ideal for external (cause there's no moisture in the tile that can freeze) use, it does make the adhesive struggle to get a grip of the tiles. So for your application, as you are tiling onto a surface with low porosity then you can utilise an adhesive suitable for porcelain to ensure it gets a proper grip. Most decent adhesives are suitable for porcelain these days but you do need to check to make sure.
Hope this is a bit clearer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back