Add another Thermostat?

You really need to determine what temperature the hall gets to.

Typically the hall would be 1 or 2 degrees below the rest of the ground floor.

An old fashioned thermometer comes in handy

Sponsored Links
So a get around is to fit a TRV in the room with wall thermostat.

That's not a recommended practice. If you put two devices in the same room one will take precedence over the other, so that:

1. If the TRV reaches its set temperature before the room stat it will turn down the radiator so the roomstat will never reach its set temperature and the heating will continue to run indefinitely. Or at least until any time control switches it off.

2. If the roomstat reaches its set temperature before the TRV it will turn the entire heating off and the TRV will be rendered redundant.

Many thermostat manufacturers state that it shouldn't be done, but some do go to the trouble to explain why it shouldn't. Here's a couple of examples.

Hive
1712128259533.png

Energenie MiHome
a-jpg.182748

Last edited:
I know when I fitted a TRV and wall thermostat in the hall in my mothers old house, it cured the problems.

The wall thermostats main job is to turn off central heating on a warm day.

The TRV will control the temperature in each room, but it can't turn the whole boiler off, so without the wall thermostat the boiler would cycle on/off all summer.

The analogue TRV valve will allow the room to still have a variation in temp from cool to warm day, maybe only 1 degree but still there will be a difference.

So the wall thermostat needs setting within the lower and upper temperature of the room.

This may mean the TRV and wall thermostat need to be within one degree of each other. But this can be set.

If you put the wall thermostat in a lower floor room with no alternative heating including sun through windows, and no outside doors, in a room normally kept cool, then no need for a TRV and wall thermostat in same room.

However in most homes there is no such room, so only option is a TRV and wall thermostat in the same room.

ALL the radiators heat fine..including the one in the hallway, if you read my post again it explains what I am trying to do ( I'm not trying to heat the hallway) .
I don't understand - if you're not trying to heat the hallway why do you want to make any changes at all?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I would love to heat the hallway BUT it just does not heat up ( basically at all) and I think if the hallway where the thermostat is NEVER gets to the setting I set it at ie 20..21..22 degrees etc..then it will never turn the boiler off and it will just keep firing away trying to get to the thermostat setting ( which it never does)..so I'm trying to bypass the hallway thermostat and use an alternative set up to control the boiler and heating.

It makes no difference if I set it at 15..16..17 for instance then it will not heat the rest of the house to a nice warm temperature as the Hallway does not get warm enough to get the thermostat to kick in.

Hi, I would love to heat the hallway BUT it just does not heat up ( basically at all) and I think if the hallway where the thermostat is NEVER gets to the setting I set it at ie 20..21..22 degrees etc..then it will never turn the boiler off and it will just keep firing away trying to get to the thermostat setting ( which it never does)..so I'm trying to bypass the hallway thermostat and use an alternative set up to control the boiler and heating.
Do you know why the radiator doesn't heat the hallway? Is it a radiator problem not getting hot, is the radiator undersized, is the hall very draughty?

Hi, the radiator is currently a 700x600 dbl (biggest that can be fitted in hallway due to layout) Hallway is not draughty just cold due to size of hallway...the radiator actually heats up perfectly ....I'm now seeing if I can actually get a dbl 1800 x 600 to fit on the wall where the existing radiator is ( obviously remove that one

I think you need to determine where the heat is going unless the hall has the stairs in it

The thermostat should be mounted about 1.5 metres from the floor, and not close to, or above a radiator.

Preferably it should not be on an outside wall, (although if you have well insulated walls, this is not quite so crucial.)

It should be in an area where air can circulate easily, not in a corner, or hidden behind curtains, or furniture.

Also avoid locations where the sun can land on it, through a window etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back