Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a thermostat in my hallway and it's always freezing I am just trying to learn how it works. It's set at 16° but as I say it's always cold so does this mean the radiators would stay on at the TRV settings I have ie 1-5 ? Also will I need to raise the thermostat to a degree that heats up the hallway so the heating cuts off when the hallway reaches the degree it's set at say 18-20 ?

Thx in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes, your stat over rides TRVs & switches boiler on & off not the individual radiators

Where is your thermostat situated mine's is in my hallway which is always freezing the reason i ask is i am doing a sort of test with having my thermostat set at 16° which i set at 18:30pm yesterday, i can't remember the TRV settings on my radiators which are the one in the hall which has no TRV and is just a single radiator the other ones are in the bathroom 1 single and 2 bedrooms but only 1 bedroom rad is on. It looks like the heating has been on all night because the bedroom is roasting the bathroom rad is pretty hot to touch as well so it looks like it's been on that from 18:30pm to now 08:50 so i am dreading to go down stairs to see how much it has cost being on this constant 16°

I am registered disabled and struggle with heart issues and i cannot bend up and down so i tend to spend most of my time in the bedroom as it's easier to get to the toilet. Also these TRV's on the rads I need to check again what they are set at but if memory serves I think lounges is 3 or 4 bedroom is 3 or 4 and bathroom 2 or 3 but i am not sure.

Sponsored Links
Thx for the prompt reply i am completely useless when it comes to this i thought if you turn your thermostat down it's meant to save money ? But i spose if it's struggling to hit 16° in the hallway then the CH would stay on more often than not is that correct ?

Thx for the prompt reply i am completely useless when it comes to this i thought if you turn your thermostat down it's meant to save money ? But i spose if it's struggling to hit 16° in the hallway then the CH would stay on more often than not is that correct ?

The thermostat is a simple heat operated switch between the controller and the boiler.
If the switch is off (ie, the air temp is higher than its set), the boiler can't get a heat signal from the controller.
If the switch is on (ie, the air temp is lower than its set) the boiler can get the heat signal from the controller

The TRVs are dumb. They are simply a mechanical temp limit device for the rad.
The higher you turn them up, the higher that limit is.
They can't call for heat. They can only stop it.

Hope this helps.

It looks like the heating has been on all night because the bedroom is roasting the bathroom rad is pretty hot to touch as well so it looks like it's been on that from 18:30pm to now 08:50 so i am dreading to go down stairs to see how much it has cost being on this constant 16°
Surely your system has a programmer/timeswitch to set the hours that it is able to come on for hot water or central heating ?

Yes it has but this was a sort of trial thing to see how much it cost to leave it on at 16°

This "put the single zone thermostat in the coldest room" approach to heating design needs to go into the dustbin of history.

Well i ain't got a clue either ways

Give over.
Don't over think it, it' very simple in reality. Don't let the expectation defeat your reality.

It's not rocket science. Don't treat it as such and you might suprise yourself.

This "put the single zone thermostat in the coldest room" approach to heating design needs to go into the dustbin of history.
I think it preceded TRV's. I moved ours (thermostat) from the hall where frankly I could not care less what the temperature is to the lounge where I do, TRV's everywhere except the lounge :giggle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back