Possible thermostat fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
The inlaws have a Ferroli Domina 80e in the kitchen with a thermostat fitted in the hallway, they have been complaining the house is cold so i checked out the thermostat and its been set at 23 degrees top line but its only climbing to 17-18 degrees, the reason it was set so high was obviously to get some heat in the house, hot water from the tap runs as it should with no problems, was wondering if this sounds like the thermostat has gone?, it looks like an old one, same as the inlaws :D, i have a wireless one which is good and was wondering if one could be fitted to theres? would this be a good place to start? also is there a way of just turning the heating on without this thermostat active not only to get them warmed up but to see if it is actualy the thermostat thats gone?...sorry for the questions :oops:
cheers guys
Wayne

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you somehow imagine the thermostst controls the temperature the house reaches.

All the stst does is to turn it OFF when it reaches the set temp.

If the rads are undersized or the boiler temperature is too low the house will never reach the set temperature.

To test turn the stat to max ( 30°C ) and see just how hot the house gets.

The rads should be too hot to keep your hand on for more than two seconds.

Tony

Thanks kevplumb ;)
Agile the stat is set to max, the rads are ok, this is a new thing that has happened over the summer or later as last year all was fine, i know what the thermostat does though and if the fault is in the thermostat would it not be turning off the boiler wether the temp has been reached or not?
Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Alright we have a change in direction :confused: i took the batteries out of the thermostat and tried the central heating, didnt work, i disconnected the thermostat altogether and set the timer on the boiler itself, still didnt work, the hot water tap is pipeing then there is a 3 minute delay and the central heating tries to kick in, which it does for around 2 to 3 seconds then the hour glass "3 min delay" light comes on, and this happens for as long as the boiler is within the timer settings, fires up for 2 seconds then off again...and on and on...something in the boiler itself is shutting the central heating down for reasons unknown, no error lights or anything, its as if someone turns the tap on a few seconds after the central heating starts....im lost, any other ideas guys? and sorry for wasting your time to start with :oops:

Wayne

Hi can you confirm you did connect a link across terminals 3 & 4 in place of the room thermostat wiring?

Hi Jack
Yes this was done, when i got there they actualy had a manual that shows you how to do it, still no luck though, the thermostat is obviously telling the boiler to kick in as there is a flame icon on the thermostat and the boiler does kick in, even if it is only for a few seconds
Cheers

The pump starts as well for a few seconds too, time for a corgi man i think :D

Thanks guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back