Cold house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please can someone advise me where I am going wrong with my heating. I have thermostat controls on my radiators set to position III on all downstairs radiators (kitchen, living room and hall). I have an RC1 thermostat in the hallway set to 19c, but my house is still cold.

My hallway thermostat shows that the temperature isn't getting to be above 15/16c (so never reaching the set temp), yet I can hear that the radiators are constantly working.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Sponsored Links
1) maybe your radiator's are too small. How big are your rooms, what sort of windows, what outside wall area, are the ceilings and walls insulated, what are the floors and are thet carpeted or boards, how big are the radiators?.

2) maybe your radiators are too cold. Are they all hot all over? Are the input (flow) pipes Too Hot To Hold, and the outlet pipes (Return) Too Hot To Hold For Long? What temp is the boiler showing?

Have you got all the internal doors shut?

You don't usually hear a radiator unless the TRV is nearly closed. Try turning them up.

Turn all of your thermostatic radiator valves up to full
Turn the boiler central heating thermostat up a bit.
John :)

Check that the thermostat on you boiler is turned up full and that the rads are to hot to touch, if both of the above are ok then your rads are under sized. when i first started installing heating the start point for calculating boiler/rads was -1 then it went to -3 and were having temps as low as -16 so our house's are never going to get warm :(

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all your advice.

I've turned my rad thermostats up high, and turned up the temp on my boiler and it's worked, I'm up to temperature, so thermostat in hall is now doing it's job, turning the heating on and off, great.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back