Add/move kitchen sockets.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,
I want to add extra sockets in kitchen and thought I`d best check if my plan is safe/legal.
I`ve opened up the kitchen sockets (3 singles and 2 doubles in total) and I`ve got 2 singles and a double on the ring,then a single and a double as 2 spurs off different sockets.
I want to move the double on the spur to a different wall, and then add another double spur into the ring.
Is this safe/legal? If not any advice on the safest way to do this. At a push I could forget about the extra socket and just move the spur,but I`d prefer not to.

cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
Why dont you just make one ring out of the all the sockets when repositioned?

Yum yum! Like Job_n_knock says!

A kitchen needs lots of outlets, many of them can usefully be positioned above the worktop in a neat row - what with double sockets, FCUs for the fan and hood above, and switches for the appliances below, they can conveniently be installed as part of a ring. As the cable runs horizontally from one to the next, it is economical in labour and materials, and the route of the cable is obvious so does not need to be protected with an earthed metal barrier.

Depending on the kitchen size and layout, it can be quite convenient to run this row round the entire perimeter of the kitchen. Id the cable is run in conduit it is very easy to later add more outlets in the intervals between already-installed outlets. Plenty of sockets means you are not restricted in where to put the toaster if you later want to change the layout.

Most of the outlets will be low load (but the washing machine, tumble drier and dishwasher are the exceptions, when their heating elements are on, as are the kettle and toaster, but for much shorter periods, and the oven, if it is not on a dedicated cooker circuit). Depending on the size and layout of the house, if you have (or expect to get) a lot of these heavy-load appliances running at the same time, some people like to install a separate kitchen ring in addition to the ground-floor ring for the rest of the house. If the house is reasonably small, and the only other downstairs loads will be table lamps and the TV (no electric heaters), I doubt this is usually necessary, but it is worth thinking about.

Job_n_knock said:
Why dont you just make one ring out of the all the sockets when repositioned?

unfortunately,the existing ring runs kitchen to room and back to kitchen.this would mean disturbing more floorboards in room which I don`t really want to do as they are polished (wife`ll kill me if I damage any :D )

my original plan is very simple to do and I just need to make sure I don`t overload the circuit.

cheers again.

Sponsored Links
Kitchen wiring doesn't need to go under the floor! Dual box in place of existing socket, start loop from one side, run along in a row above the worktop with plenty of outlets, chase cable horizontally in wall between socket positions, return to other side of box.

Bish, bosh, lovely job.

jobs a good un. I`ve now got 2 doubles and 3 singles on the ring and a double as a spur.
Is this ok for the normal load from kitchen appliances?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back