Add on Strip to door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We got a Solidor with an add on strip (15mm) the builder recomended an add on strip because of the door location.

Question is do we glue the strip to the door before we fit it, or, fit the strip to the wall then the door?

My instinct saye we should glue the strip to the door with super glue before we fit the door?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
what size is the doorframe, and how old?

Hi,
The hinge wall is the outside side wall of the house1.5 m away from the front wall. The lock side is a new wall built as part of a porch. Its only 1 metre high as there is a "Flag" window od sorts to the right of the lock side.

I would say there isnt a frame in the traditional sense as its a wall (house) and a new wall that is end on. Builder says we need an add on because of the side wall. Not sure why.

door window.jpg

doesn't make sense.

the opening looks like about 40"

Who was it that ordered the wrong-sized door or built the wrong-sized wall and came up with this can of worms?

Sponsored Links
the door was custom ordered using the solidor configurater, i included an add on within the 970mm gap because nI was told to by the builder, he said once the inside was platered it would look better from the inside and open better. I could have ordered it without the strip.

So glue strip to door?

I'm afraid I don't understand, so I'll stand back and someone else have a go.

On any pvc door frame where the hinge side is against a wall you specify an add on or frame extender in order to bring the hinge away from the plaster, essentially you make the door 15mm narrower than needed then build it back up with the 15mm extender, internally the plaster should then only cover the extender and be well away from the hinges, in this case the frame needed to be 970mm so when surveying you ask that the 970mm includes a 15mm extender so now the manufacturer will make the frame width 955mm

Hope that explains how a frame extender works on a pvc door frame

In terms of fitting then I normally run a bead of silicone in the front groove on the frame, fit the extender to the frame and screw every 600mm down the middle

On any pvc door frame where the hinge side is against a wall you specify an add on or frame extender in order to bring the hinge away from the plaster, essentially you make the door 15mm narrower than needed then build it back up with the 15mm extender, internally the plaster should then only cover the extender and be well away from the hinges, in this case the frame needed to be 970mm so when surveying you ask that the 970mm includes a 15mm extender so now the manufacturer will make the frame width 955mm

Hope that explains how a frame extender works on a pvc door frame

In terms of fitting then I normally run a bead of silicone in the front groove on the frame, fit the extender to the frame and screw every 600mm down the middle

Perfect thank you C39. Also, that explanation is a match to what the builder was trying to say. :) The screws @600mm in the middle, they are not the concrete screws? Small self tappers maybe?

Perfect thank you C39. Also, that explanation is a match to what the builder was trying to say. :) The screws @600mm in the middle, they are not the concrete screws? Small self tappers maybe?

Yes self tapers through the extender into the door frame then concrete screws through frame into brick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back