Intumescent door strips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting my first fire door and the frame kit came with strips of intumescent seal and with the frame grooved to take the strips.

Wishing to get it right first time, could I ask how the strip is fixed in the groove - pins or adhesive?
and also, where the hinges are screwed to the frame, should the strip continue over the top of the part of the hinge screwed to the door or does one leave a gap where the hinge is ?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
the strip is usually adhesive on the back, with a peel-off plastic strip to protecxt the adhesive coating. Trim to size and test fit before you peel off and stick. You might like to paint the frames as well.

If it is bristle strip, you may need to plane the door a bit so it latches easily.

you can get intumescent pads to go under the hinges, AFAIK if the hinge covers the groove, you can't fit the strip there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back