Add Pizza Oven to BBQ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have one of those self build BBQs which you slide the metal coat tray and food grill into. I'm sure you know the type. You buy the 'kit' from a DIY store, then build 3 single brick walls to house it.

Well, I wanted to put a slab on top, then brick up on top to enclose it in a dome shape with a letterbox style opening at the front. I can then cook pizza's when our weather allows. The BBQ beneath would still be usable too.

Is this something anyone has ever attempted?

would the single brick BBQ below be man enough to cope with the extra weight on top?

What sort of slab would be sufficient, a simple big paving slab or would you need a special pizza stone type affair?

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Have a look on this forum
http://woodovenukforum.forumup.co.uk/index.php?mforum=woodovenukforum

what they don't know about pizza ovens probably isn't worth knowing.
I've built an oven for a re-enactment group that I'm in and there are some pictures on DIYnot if you care to search.It is wood fired and the fire sits inside the oven tyo heat it up and is raked out to put the bread or whatever in there, for this reason a larger door than a letterbox is required , in fact there is a mathamatical formular that needs to be followed to give the right balance of air flows and equates to something like 65% of the internal height of the oven for the height of the door. As to it sitting on top of the barby then yes that will work because you are creating in effect what is called a french oven.I would research a bit more as to the size of the door in this situation as you may still need a larger door than a letterbox.

Have a look on this forum
http://woodovenukforum.forumup.co.uk/index.php?mforum=woodovenukforum

what they don't know about pizza ovens probably isn't worth knowing.
I've built an oven for a re-enactment group that I'm in and there are some pictures on DIYnot if you care to search.It is wood fired and the fire sits inside the oven tyo heat it up and is raked out to put the bread or whatever in there, for this reason a larger door than a letterbox is required , in fact there is a mathamatical formular that needs to be followed to give the right balance of air flows and equates to something like 65% of the internal height of the oven for the height of the door. As to it sitting on top of the barby then yes that will work because you are creating in effect what is called a french oven.I would research a bit more as to the size of the door in this situation as you may still need a larger door than a letterbox.

Thanks, I'll take a look on there and will hunt for your photos. I too was going to have the coal/wood in the oven, seems the best way to do it.

Sponsored Links
That's a giant, I could probably live in there!

Thanks for the information, looks like I have a bit of a job to look forward to in spring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back