Add timer programmer to external lighting with switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a switch in the hallway, which controls the outside lamps.

I would like to install a programmer to switch the lights on/off at certain times, but i would also like to maintain control from the existing switch.

is this possible?

I can access the junction box between the switch and the lighting in the next room, this is where the programmer will be located.

Sponsored Links
Yes this can be done, but you need to consider.

1. The programmer will need a neutral. I mention this, because often, only 'lives' are available at light switches.

2. Think carefully about the way the switch is wired into the circuit. Most programmers have to be powered permanently to keep them running, any internal battery back up normally doesn't last for long, so the programmer would need to be kept powered even when the existing switch was off.

I have a switch in the hallway, which controls the outside lamps.

I would like to install a programmer to switch the lights on/off at certain times, but i would also like to maintain control from the existing switch.

is this possible?

I can access the junction box between the switch and the lighting in the next room, this is where the programmer will be located.

Hi, no need to rewire - try google: Timeguard security switch. TLC ELECTRICAL do them £30ish

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back