1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Add timer programmer to external lighting with switch

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by EngineerJack, 8 Jun 2016.

1. EngineerJack

EngineerJack

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a switch in the hallway, which controls the outside lamps.

I would like to install a programmer to switch the lights on/off at certain times, but i would also like to maintain control from the existing switch.

is this possible?

I can access the junction box between the switch and the lighting in the next room, this is where the programmer will be located.

2. stem

stem

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes this can be done, but you need to consider.

1. The programmer will need a neutral. I mention this, because often, only 'lives' are available at light switches.

2. Think carefully about the way the switch is wired into the circuit. Most programmers have to be powered permanently to keep them running, any internal battery back up normally doesn't last for long, so the programmer would need to be kept powered even when the existing switch was off.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. deadshort

deadshort

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, no need to rewire - try google: Timeguard security switch. TLC ELECTRICAL do them £30ish

Regards,

DS

5. chivers67

chivers67

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links