Adding 2x4 timber to Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am adding some 2x3 and 2x4 to my loft, just wondering what the best method is to fix these to the joist, looks like nails on existing but Id rather use screws, what method is best and what size if Screws/Nails?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the best way to drill down? Use a flat wood drill bit to counterbore halfway down then screws from there?

whst size screw?

This would be instead for drilling diagonal

It is just a couple additional sections that need added, just to mirror what the old water tank (now removed) is on. I have used loft legs for the sides of loft but middle a little trickier so easier to use the raised water tank 2x4 sections and add another 2 sections, then floor onto those. Will be 2m each 2x4.

The 2x3 are just to support the ends of the loft legs where I can get then in, again only 2 sections 1.5 m

Sponsored Links
I wanted to double check the sizes of the 2x4 in the loft as when I measured it the size was 50 x 100mm, (1960's built) looking online to order and sizes are 45 x 95 mm. is that going to be a big issue when laying loft boards over one that is 100mm and one that is 95mm.

I found a helpful youtube vid where the person used 4x50mm screws, I would have thought 60mm but seems to do the job.

Thanks

Last edited:
500mm screws? 600mm screws? Even Noah didn"t use screws that big. Mind you, he didn't have a modern cordless!

I found a helpful youtube vid where the person used 4x500mm screws, I would have thought 600mm but seems to do the job.
I was going to say - your bedroom might have ended up like something the Marquis de Sade created!

I'd say if you are going down through the 95mm you'll need something like 140 to 150mm screws, if you are going through 45mm it'll need 70 to 75mm screws

They will be upright 95mm, and drilling through at an angle 60/70mm should do it fine if the guy was using 50mm.

Concern now is the height difference 100mm v 95mm, if the loft boards will sit ok

Last edited:
Would the above do the job, or would I need plywood? Other option is I have a slight dip in the flooring

i.e I have 3 old 2x4 so floor that, then fit a new 2x4 hard against the old and then the new 2 x 2x4 and floor that so there is a slight dip in levels. See attched quick sketch

Or I can order online, 6mm, x50 x 2440

https://www.cutmyplastic.co.uk/wood-sheets/ply/birch/6mm/H2440-W50/

Attachments

• IMG_2899.jpg
    IMG_2899.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Pine strips will be fine for use as packing. You are unlikely to be testing the limit of their compressive strength in this application.

Thanks, it would be easier to add strips for packing rather than having a dip, I hadn't realised new 2x4 wasn't actually 2x4, amazing the different where you search the photos online.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back