adding a door to a car port-planning problem

Further "clarification" has arrived! Apparently the "highway authority does not recognise any garage as providing a useable off street parking space if its ...less than 6m x 3m so I guess ...the internal space is now a mandatory requirement..." "planning permission was granted for the building... on the basis that the structure would not have doors and would therefore still provide an element of off street parking". They also claim " vehicles would have to park in the highway before accessing the garage thereby raising highway safety concerns"

It seems the writer now has to "guess" at what is or is not a requirement so goodness knows how the rest of us are supposed to work it out.

It also seems that space which is useable without a door suddenly becomes unuseable when you put a door on it-incredible.

We have addressed the point about having to park before accessing the garage ( the door /car-port come almost to the pavement) by saying we'll have a remotely controlled electrically operated sectional garage door which rises vertically without any intrusion onto the pavement space, but in any case lots of people have gates at the bottom of their drive which have to be opened so I can't see this is a valid concern. There are no parking restrictions in the street but that is also irrelevant apparently as no-one has the right to park on the street ever.

I think what we're going to do is put together a file with the contradictory statements, the illogical ones and the downright stupid ones together with photos of local driveways/garages which are too close to the pavement to allow the user to pull off the road before accessing the garage and ask to see the Chief Planning Officer. They say we can put in an application and appeal their refusal but I don't see why we should have to incur extra costs because they are being so stupid and obstructive.

Keith

Sponsored Links
So they do not consider it suitable enough to be a garage?

Well in that case, you need to put doors on your workshop.

You know, the one where you occasionally work on your car. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back