Adding a Doubles Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All. I'm new to this forum, but cannot directly see answer anywhere else as yet.

In my hall, above head height, I want to add a double socket almost adjacent to my consumer unit, to separately to power a broadband modem/router continually and maybe some christmas lights once a year so no major power draw. The ring main goes in a different direction and is impractical to link into.

I want the double socket to have it's own separate fuse/trip switch in the consumer unit (it's brand new and there's space). This is to do with a wired comms network I've got running through my house.

In my attached photo(s) you can see the modem/router above the house alarm (I'm going to be trunking in the loose cables), which already has a fused box with a 3amp fuse (linked to the far left trip switch on the consumer unit). What I'm asking is how it's best and safest done by myself. In addition to the double socket, do I need a separate fused box like the house alarm between the double socket and the consumer unit and if so what size fuse goes in the in each.

Hope this makes sense and I haven't added in too much information than necessary. It seems such a simple job but I wish to do it myself and seek your experienced advice.

Many Thanks. [/img]

Sponsored Links
2.5mm Twin and Earth directly from consumer unit to new socket. Use a B20 Hagar MCB.

You have RCD protection, so no need to worry about that.

No need for an FCU for your socket, your alarm is done correctly and does need one.

Your ethernet cables going directly up behind the consumer unit is not exactly ideal!

Just to clarify the photo. The ethernet cables do come under the consumer unit, rather than behind it. I know it's quite difficult to make this out in the photo.

If you are in England or Wales then adding a brand new circuit (per Lectrician's post) means that you have to notify the work to your local authority.(This is to comply with Building Regulations Part P)
Thats the rule for a new circuit.

You could, however, just add the new socket as a spur from one of the existing ring circuits. This means that you do not need to notify and spend ££££££.

To do this, run 2.5mm from your new socket and connect the brown into the downstairs ring contact breaker (one of the B32s that have two cables in the top), the blue neutral will go in the neutral busbar on the left hand side and the earth in teh earth busbar.

If you really want to have this on a separate breaker then the cheapest, legal, way to success is to get a registered spark to do it for you. He will also do the notification stuff.
Get one at www.competentperson.co.uk

Sponsored Links
Just a thought then. Do I have an option to connect to the 3 amp house alarm spur to the new double socket or is this a no-no for building regs. The idea behind the separate trip switch is merely me wishing to keep comms aways from other power issues going on, such as power tools or kettles running - maybe I'm trying to be overly cautious.

If you are in England or Wales then adding a brand new circuit (per Lectrician's post) means that you have to notify the work to your local authority.(This is to comply with Building Regulations Part P)
Thats the rule for a new circuit.

You could, however, just add the new socket as a spur from one of the existing ring circuits. This means that you do not need to notify and spend ££££££.

To do this, run 2.5mm from your new socket and connect the brown into the downstairs ring contact breaker (one of the B32s that have two cables in the top), the blue neutral will go in the neutral busbar on the left hand side and the earth in teh earth busbar.

If you really want to have this on a separate breaker then the cheapest, legal, way to success is to get a registered spark to do it for you. He will also do the notification stuff.
Get one at www.competentperson.co.uk
If I read what your saying the guy can connect a spur directly to the existing 32A MCB without having to notify the LABC but if he adds an additional MCB then he has to pay the £100 plus vat and register the job first? Sometimes the law is an ass! Well the law is the law and I would never suggest anyone should break it.

As least in writing!

If I read what your saying the guy can connect a spur directly to the existing 32A MCB without having to notify the LABC but if he adds an additional MCB then he has to pay the £100 plus vat and register the job first? Sometimes the law is an ass! Well the law is the law and I would never suggest anyone should break it.

As least in writing!

Yes, that is exactly the position wrt Part P. Completely up its ass!

Just a thought then. Do I have an option to connect to the 3 amp house alarm spur to the new double socket or is this a no-no for building regs. The idea behind the separate trip switch is merely me wishing to keep comms aways from other power issues going on, such as power tools or kettles running - maybe I'm trying to be overly cautious.

You cannot do that as the feed to the alarm is (looks like) 1mm cable and probably only has a 6A breaker protecting it. You cannot put a 13A socket on that. Your alarm is best left on its own circuit.

You are being overly cautious re running a spur. A separate circuit wont protect your computer stuff from anything. Use a surge protection if you are concerned. I'd be more worried about the proximity of the LAN cables to the power circuits..

Further to the other comments on your ethernet cables, they also look to be under more than ideal mechanical stress! I'd move your router to the right a few inches :)

Understood. Don't worry about the ethernet cables though, they might look it, but they aren't under any stress, simply tucked away lightly behind the router and are separately 'piped' through the wall . I'll be shielding them appropriately away from the power cables later on.

Looking at your photo - is that bare copper from the incoming live tail showing above the main switch?

If it is, then that is a really bad thing, since one accidental touch to that, and you'll get one hell of a jolt - and given how high the CU appears to be, if the shock doesn't kill you, falling off the ladder might!

What I would say though, is unless you have a isolator before your CU, don't try and fix it yourself - either get your supplier to fit an isolator, or get an electrician in who's happy to sort it, or get your supplier/DNO out to pull the main fuse, so you can safely fix it - I wouldn't do it with the cable live...

As least in writing!

Yes, that is exactly the position wrt Part P. Completely up its ass!
It does make sense. It cannot assume a starting point of anything other than a safe, properly done, fully tested and certified and compliant installation. (Yes, I know the reality, but that's the only status it can assume).

In which case it's already been established that the existing 32A MCB is appropriate. With a new circuit no such assumption can be made.

Always a problem with drawing a line there will always be some seemingly stupid results that come out from it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back