Adding a gas fire and flue to a timber frame hse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks is this possible, should have considerd it a bit more before but was going to check out the flueless fire but read a few bad coment about them and am thinking of a traditional gas fire, sudgestions and options very welcome,

Cheers

Sponsored Links
hi use a ballanced flue one and sleeve the wall for the flue that will be the cheapest thing to do flueless fires are ok but the need servicing and gas fires always seem to be neglected they have a catalytic converter that disperses the fumes as i say ok when new but 5 years away well its any ones guess

Thanks gasmick2, how would you do the job, would you build a block chimley or would it be easier to use the ducting and end it above the ridge,

TA

Hi i personally would use a ballanced flue and not an open flue providing you have an outside wall for the flue to go out of.
i do not like concrete block flues they have caused a lot of problems over the years with spiders forimg webs in the summer themn people go to light the fire in the winter and it will fume back because the by product of combustion is co2 h2o and the water vapour condenses on the web blocking the fumes from rising i have condemed loads as well for snots of cement build up when they have been put together as they never get cleaned out during constuction,
the only other way is to use a 5 inch twinwall flue pipe with a starter block at the bottom for the fire to fit on to with the closure plate and sealed with prs10 tape
as the flue passes through any floor it will need insulating and fire stopping
and finnished with a gc1 type of terminal

That will be very expensive thats why i say use a ballanced flue one it totally safe as well

mick

Sponsored Links
Thanks gasmick2 so straight through timber frame, cavity and outer skin with a twin sheilded tube and put a cage on the outer wall, is this what i would expect from a builder,

Thanks

Mini1961

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back