Hole in the wall gas fire stud wall

Muj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of changing my fireplace, I currently have the old style fireplaces with the chimney breast on the outside of the house so the wall is flush.

What I would like to do is create a recess for the TV - so in essence create a breast on the wall. I am wanting to put in a hole in the wall gas fire so will sit flush on the recess I will be creating.

What I would like to ask is, does the stud wall need to be built with metal frame then fire rated plasterboard or is a timber frame with fire rated plasterboard fine?

I was planning on doing a timber frame but the people at the fireplace recommended metal due to the heat, but I thought that’s what the fire rated plasterboard is for? They do metal stud work so not sure if they’re trying to sell it to me lol.

Can someone please advise me if a metal frame is required?

Thank you in advance.

Muj

Sponsored Links
Are you planning to fit the TV above the gas fire ? If so give a thought to how well the TV will cope with the heat from the fire.

Are you planning to fit the TV above the gas fire ? If so give a thought to how well the TV will cope with the heat from the fire.
Also, give some thought as to how your neck will cope with constantly looking up above eye level an how your eyes will be affected by the infra red light from the fire.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies guys,

I have no other place to put aTV due to room restrictions, and the reason for the recess is to drop the tv down to eye level.

I don’t think the heat will be a problem as the guy in the fireplace has done it in his own house.

But do I really need metal frame for the stud wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back