large hole in stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 5 metre wall with studs at about 14 inches and as im redoing all the plasterboard. I thought it a good opportunity to [if its legal] to create a 40 x 30 rectangle to recess a plasma screen in future.

There is a long wooden lintel top and bottom of it. joists run parallel to the lintel in one room above and sit on it in another smaller room above (partially supporting wall). I thought about mitre cuting some 2x4 to arch over (A shape) and under (V shape) the tv frame and double up the studs ether side of the recess.
should i use an acro whilst doing this?

thanks bert.

Sponsored Links
If it truly is a stud partition wall, it won’t be supporting anything other than its own weight. The lintels you refer to are in fact the head & sole plates which support the vertical partition studs; these are normally at 400 or 600mm centers with horizontal noggins half way up the wall. If you want to cut a hole in it (are you sure there are no cables behind) then propping should not be necessary but you will need to fabricate a new surround to support the edges of the plasterboard & to add same to the reveals.

If you look at the back of the set you will see it’s covered in ventilation slots/holes & the heat must be allowed to dissipate it’s to have any sort life expectancy. Putting flat screen TV’s into a recess seems to becoming very popular but they must have adequate ventilation (i.e. some form of duct & an outlet to allow the heat escape) & most manufacturers print a disclaimer in their warranty if the minimum air space around the set has not been provided.

thanks, it seems to be exactly as you describle, (non supporting).
as far as heat, I thought about drilling 2 inch holes either side of frame, and mount some mini fans like you get in a pc, with foil ducting into the room.
realistically I'm hoping that by the time I can afford one, they will be low voltage/heat types available in future so vent wont be necessary.

Sponsored Links
bananaspark said:
-- realistically I'm hoping that by the time I can afford one, they will be low voltage/heat types available in future so vent wont be necessary.
I think you will have a very long wait!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back