Breeze Block or Stud wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
A few years ago i took out a dividing wall between 2 bedrooms to make a square arch through. The wall was not a supporting one, however i put in a wooden lintel above for the foot of wall remaining. As my boy is now bigger i want to put it back to how it was (typical woman).
Now, what would be the best option to go for. 1. Breeze block again and then top coat of plaster both sides. 2. Stud wall for less mess(however, i don't know wether this would be as cheap in the long run to do).
I was thinking that with the breeze block then it would be more soundproof and also stronger.
Any views on this, what would you all do?
Also, if i decide to breeze block i was going to attempt this myself, would i just need to 'tie in' each side to the existing blocks? I have some building knowledge. The area is only 6ft by 6'6. What is the mixture i use for cement. Also how much do you think a brickie would charge.
Think thats it!
Cheers Guys,
Lorraine

Sponsored Links
lolly said:
2. Stud wall for less mess(however, i don't know wether this would be as cheap in the long run to do).
This would be the cheapest and quickest to do. As for soundproofing use rockwool insulation between studs timber then plasterboards. The plasterboard, you can have it skim or leave it for decoration after making goods to the joints.

Thanks for your reply Masona.
I did enquire yeserday about how many breeze blocks. I would only need 4 meters so about £30 and the metal thingy each side to tie in to existing brickwork.
The only thing i was thinking about with the stud wall is getting it level with each side, so therefore it would need skimming both sides of the wall.
Therefore, would it be best to block up as i would need it plastering anyway?
How much do you think it would cost somebody to block up 4 meters (thinking it would take them a short time to my allday! plus my flippin annoying usesless hubby (he has no patience unlike me!) plus he isn't very handy indoors (as you might have already gathered!)
Cheers
Lorraine

Sponsored Links
The choice is yours, it would take me less than a day to do timber studwork and you can wallpaper or paint over plasterboards if done correctly without skimming, most people do have it skim though.

The bricklaying & plastering method, you're looking at approx 3-4 days. I can't tell you how much, best to get a couple of quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back