RSJ and supporting wall questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently bought an old farmhouse, built circa 1880. It's of solid construction (or so my surveyor told me) but with the usual problems of rising damp and woodworm which we're currently sorting.

The house has 670mm/26" stone walls, with a centre 340mm/13" wall which runs parallel to the gable ends. The first floor joists run from this wall to the gable ends.

Our first project for the house is knocking down a dividing wall between the old parlour (room with a wooden floor) and the kitchen. The dividing wall is of stone construction, and does not have a wall directly above. There is a stud wall on the floor above, but this is about 600mm away.

Would I need an RSJ for this? I'll be getting a structural engineer in eventually, but I just like to hear opinions. Would padstones be needed, or will the stone wall be sufficient?

Our other idea is to open up the gable end wall where the kitchen is. There is already a window there (with probably a slate lintel) which we'd like to open up into a doorway about 3m in length. As stated above the wall is roughly 670mm/26" thick stone built. Can anyone give a ballpark figure on costs for this kind of job?

Thanks for your help,

steve

Sponsored Links
Do the floor joists sit on the wall?

As far as I know, yes. If the only aternatives are joist hangers, then I assume not as I don't know if they were about 130 years ago.

However, my intial assumption that the dividing wall was brick is incorrect, hacking away last night I discovered it was stone, so I no longer trust my assuptions (and I've edited the above accordingly).

I'll lift a floorboard tonight to take a look, and let you know.[/quote]

Just checking if the wall your looking to remove is load bearing, if the joists above load the wall then either by directly sitting onto it or joist hangers then a beam would be the logical route assuming you can take the load to another ajoining wall or remainder of the original wall.. older properties are a bit more complicated as alot have little to no foundations so you may need to add some pad foundations as required

Sponsored Links
Just checking if the wall your looking to remove is load bearing

I'm certain it isn't. The joists run parallell to this wall, and there are no solid walls above it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back