1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Opening up a fireplace from gas fire to wood stove, old stone house - Builders opening

Discussion in 'Building' started by Stevec678, 15 Aug 2020.

1. bennymultifinish

bennymultifinish

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    with respect , why smoke test if you intend fitting a liner?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. Stevec678

Stevec678

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I feel like I have gone regs, manufacturer install manuals and general construction regs mad in my head. Most stove advice is catered for England and Doc J, I'm north of the border (just) so its Scottish building regs to comply with. Nothing drastically different to be fair just subtle changes and different regs layout etc. Some installation manuals are better than others, I have contacted the manufacturer direct for some info too. Glad to take any advice or guidance on board, as theres always something to learn. Looking around the web doesn't help, all I see is non-compliance, manufacturers stove brochures are the worst - they make a big mac pic look 95% true compared to what reality is with a lot of stoves!!

4. Stevec678

Stevec678

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I feel like I have gone regs, manufacturer install manuals and general construction regs mad in my head. Most stove advice is catered for England and Doc J, I'm north of the border (just) so its Scottish building regs to comply with. Nothing drastically different to be fair just subtle changes and different regs layout etc. Some installation manuals are better than others, I have contacted the manufacturer direct for some info too. Glad to take any advice or guidance on board, as theres always something to learn. Looking around the web doesn't help, all I see is non-compliance, manufacturers stove brochures are the worst - they make a big mac pic look 95% true compared to what reality is with a lot of stoves!!

5. bennymultifinish

bennymultifinish

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    are you intending to install your own stove and liner etc or employ somebody certified?

6. Stevec678

Stevec678

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Good question, and my initial thoughts too as the point of the S/S liner is to provide a closed flue to the top. In all honesty, it seems to be the thing to do, it was stated it would be done aby a fitting company that came out to scope for the stove installation and general advice seems to be to do it anyway. I'm happy with just the clean to be fair, especially since I have found the plans for the alterations in 96 which stated the flue was to be relined.

7. bennymultifinish

bennymultifinish

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i’ve built plenty of fireplaces for wood and multifuels, generally tend to steer customers into 100% non combustibles anywhere near unless they want oak beams etc. cant be doing with all the faffing about with the local authority so mostly use the same hetas installer who certifies the installation.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sponsored Links
  9. denso13

denso13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think we all would. Don't worry about it, there is absolutely nothing to suggest it was dangerous.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Stevec678

Stevec678

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cheers, with nothing to substantiate comments it all becomes a minefield!!

11. lostinthelight

lostinthelight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ive quickly breezed through this thread but am I correct in thinking Op may be considering utilizing an old gas flue for a wood stove which are generally of not sufficient quality for the job?

12. Stevec678

Stevec678

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Afternoon. No, a new S/Steel liner will be installed to match the requirements stated for the stove. Cheers.

• Like Like x 3
  13. ted456

ted456

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    With respect,

Steel flat bars are often found reinforcing brick arches but the idea of flat bars in the flue is a dangerous fantasy - precisely what would these flat bars in the flue do besides create a potential blockage that could threaten the health of a family?

Last edited: 22 Aug 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. 23vc

23vc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No one said there was a flat bar “in the flue”

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1