Opening up a fireplace from gas fire to wood stove, old stone house - Builders opening

Ted456

I had assumed the chimneys were brick built from the ground floor up but info presenting itself at the moment suggests it is embedded within the stone and only the stack is brick built. I have see the gables during the extension build (within the last 5 years) externally and internally in the loft and there is only stonework to be seen. All other fireplaces were filled in during works in 1996, this fireplace flue was relined to the then standards. I understand its difficult to assess from the photos provided.

I have previously seen behind the plaster on the sides and it is stone wall, I can see the wall next to the RH side lath and the stone wall is also visible. I have removed more plaster vertically over the centre of the opening and it is just stonework there. I have the dimensions of the burner, if we opt for a limestone surround I will need a 36" by 36" opening, otherwise it would be an opening to the stone uprights already situated with a decorative mantle (requiring twin wall if too close).

The constructional hearth is non-combustible (stone with concrete layer, this was seen when the floorboards were up for the gas pipe removal) approx 200mm deep and projects just over 500mm from the wall so within regs. Distance to combustibles wont be an issue with the dimensions presented and aiming for.

The main query concern is there appears to be no structural brickwork on the front chimney leaf so to speak (I can't see the rear wall clearly but behind the gas fire brick back it looks to be stone work again), with a stone and brick mix course at approx 57" then purely stonework above that. TBH, it was not what I was expecting, as stated had assumed there would still have been a brick built chimney.

I would stick a strong boy into the mortar bed but unsure which if any brick course its worth doing it in due to the final course layer being as described - part brick soldiers butted up against stone. I will upload some close ups to see if it can be see.

If you could be so kind as to state why the gas installation was dangerous I'd really appreciate it. The flue will be smoke tested and cleaned before installation of a steel liner, although as stated it was relined during renovations and alterations in the 90's. Even if good it seems the general advice is line with steel flexi to aid more modern stoves. Thanks again.
First pics shows the far left brick meeting stone. Pic 2 is the stone to the left (hard to see). Pic 3 are the bricks to the right. One course, mixed stone and brick? Appears to be final course of any bricks seen.
View attachment 202187 View attachment 202188 View attachment 202189
with respect , why smoke test if you intend fitting a liner?

Sponsored Links
tell us the regs.

I feel like I have gone regs, manufacturer install manuals and general construction regs mad in my head. Most stove advice is catered for England and Doc J, I'm north of the border (just) so its Scottish building regs to comply with. Nothing drastically different to be fair just subtle changes and different regs layout etc. Some installation manuals are better than others, I have contacted the manufacturer direct for some info too. Glad to take any advice or guidance on board, as theres always something to learn. Looking around the web doesn't help, all I see is non-compliance, manufacturers stove brochures are the worst - they make a big mac pic look 95% true compared to what reality is with a lot of stoves!!

tell us the regs.

I feel like I have gone regs, manufacturer install manuals and general construction regs mad in my head. Most stove advice is catered for England and Doc J, I'm north of the border (just) so its Scottish building regs to comply with. Nothing drastically different to be fair just subtle changes and different regs layout etc. Some installation manuals are better than others, I have contacted the manufacturer direct for some info too. Glad to take any advice or guidance on board, as theres always something to learn. Looking around the web doesn't help, all I see is non-compliance, manufacturers stove brochures are the worst - they make a big mac pic look 95% true compared to what reality is with a lot of stoves!!

are you intending to install your own stove and liner etc or employ somebody certified?

Sponsored Links
with respect , why smoke test if you intend fitting a liner?

Good question, and my initial thoughts too as the point of the S/S liner is to provide a closed flue to the top. In all honesty, it seems to be the thing to do, it was stated it would be done aby a fitting company that came out to scope for the stove installation and general advice seems to be to do it anyway. I'm happy with just the clean to be fair, especially since I have found the plans for the alterations in 96 which stated the flue was to be relined.

i’ve built plenty of fireplaces for wood and multifuels, generally tend to steer customers into 100% non combustibles anywhere near unless they want oak beams etc. cant be doing with all the faffing about with the local authority so mostly use the same hetas installer who certifies the installation.

Ive quickly breezed through this thread but am I correct in thinking Op may be considering utilizing an old gas flue for a wood stove which are generally of not sufficient quality for the job?

Ive quickly breezed through this thread but am I correct in thinking Op may be considering utilizing an old gas flue for a wood stove which are generally of not sufficient quality for the job?

Afternoon. No, a new S/Steel liner will be installed to match the requirements stated for the stove. Cheers.

With respect,

Steel flat bars are often found reinforcing brick arches but the idea of flat bars in the flue is a dangerous fantasy - precisely what would these flat bars in the flue do besides create a potential blockage that could threaten the health of a family?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back