Blocking or filling pre cast gas fire flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Possibly a bit of an unusual question but the party wall in my semi has a pre cast gas fire flue built in. I have no intention or re-instating the gas fire.

The joining property also has a flue directly opposite. This doesn't leave much solid material between the houses and it seems to be a real week spot for noise to pass though. (tv noise mainly!)

I would like to make the room a little more sound proof. Is there anyway to fill it in? stuffed full of rockwool / or sand or knocked the flue blocks out and replaced with solid

I have read not leaving them properly vented can cause damp issues so want to be a bit careful with what I try. It finishes with a 5" asbestos pipe in the loft so don't want to disturb that if possible.

Any
recommendations?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20170104_205352.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20170104_205352.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 573
Sponsored Links
If you want to completely fill it with anything you would need to have the asbestos/cement pipe removed and pour in from there. Being a purpose made gas flue it has a much smaller volume than a conventional flue. Or just fill the accesable area from the front with acoustic wool. How did you get on with your floor.

Last edited:
Thanks Nige, I think I'll stuff some acoustic wool up it and seal both ends. Read a lot of damp horror stories but assuming these are from chimneys which have had a real fire in?

Well remembered - Floor is sorted (after a lot of procrastinating.) It was no where near as daunting as I'd imagined once I'd got going. Its a semi and I intended to carpet all but the kitchen for noise purposes so I didn't put the underfloor heating in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back