Adding a light in the Airing Cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm a newbie, spent the past hour looking around the forum and Wiki for the answer to my question and not come up with much...

Scenario: I need to add a small light in my Airing Cupboard, because of the way it's positioned it catches no light from the landing/stair area and is very dark. I've already put in a small tubular strip lamp (not florescent) and wired it into the relevant 1.0mm lighting cable. Opposite the airing cupboard door is a 1-gang 2-way switch which controls the landing/stair area rose light. I bought a 2-gang 2-way switch and found that I had no neutral in the existing switch (which I already know this means I cannot wire it into this switch).

Question: Can I connect the neutral wire from the tubular strip lamp to the landing/stair area rose light, and then continue on to 'piggyback' (join together) the two commons, and connect the live wire from the lamp into L1 on the switch? (So basically, can I take the neutral from the nearest source which in this case is the landing/stair area rose light?)

Many thanks for your time, Oz

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back