Adding A New Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Part of my kitchen has no light at all as the room had a half height partition put up many years ago (coming down from the ceiling) so half the room is unlit from the ceiling lights on the other side.

We would like to fit a light (don't know what type yet) to the partition so that it lights that side of the room. As much as I'd like to get one fitted in the ceiling I am assuming this would be a huge job because the floors would need to be lifted above the kitchen to get access, plus the walls would have to be damaged in some way to get a switch in (wall design is lathe and plaster).

So, what I was thinking, and I don't know if this is at all safe/legal is:

1. Install light on the partition, which is plasterboard.
2. Run power from the hob extractor hood, which is on the opposite side of the partition
3. Put a light switch on the partition as it'd be much easier to get access to that than the ceiling and walls

I'm not an electrician, (clearly) and would probably get someone in to do this, but I'd like to know if my idea is safe/workable.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
To use a switched fuse connection unit instead of normal light switch you may find what you think is a viable option. But in a kitchen it needs notifying and therefore not really worth doing as a DIY job. So simple answer is ask an electrician who is a member of a scheme what he thinks and let him provide the paperwork required as well.

Thanks. What do you mean by an electrician that is a member of a scheme?

So would I be right in reading your response as I'd be breaking the law by doing what I suggested? if so then yes, I will certainly get someone in!

anything that is notifiable needs to go through building control unless it is signed off by an electrician who is a member of a competant persons scheme.(elecsa, napit)that work also needs to be done by that electrician.

Sponsored Links
You don't have to notify which is the "good news" the bad news is there probably aren't many electricians out there that would run a light off an extractor hood circuit.

If you do do it what do you intend to have inbetween the light and the cable from the hood?

I don't know yet - I was assuming a light switch of some sort. This is very much at the "is it safe/possible" stage, as you can tell.

If you have to have it installed like that has the hood got an FCU feeding it ?

Ok, I don't know what you're talking about, which means I'm not up to the job of doing this myself.

I shall get someone round.

Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back